On the Beach

Feel-good film of 1959

Rating: 17/20 (Dylan: 8/20)

Plot: The Cold War swings into action and almost immediately ends. Now, thanks to radiation, everybody's going to die. Stupid people. An American submarine reaches Australia where they wait anxiously for news about whether the radiation cloud will reach them. The last men and women on earth confront their impending doom in various ways.

I love it when a movie can be removed far from the context in which it was first seen (1950's Cold War fears) and still retain relevancy. On the Beach has an interesting story and characters anyway, but to me, its greatness is in the many great moments that it has. When Peck's character talks about his family for the first time, the cock-eyed camera visually reminding us what a cock-eyed world we live in, he's acting straight from the heart. Dylan told me while we were watching this that Gregory Peck is the 5th best actor of all time, (Two video game voice actors and Keifer Sutherland are ahead of him.) and he is really good in this, a perfect blend of nearly-submerged melancholy and tired hope. That scene is his best in the film. Every second of the scene in San Francisco is pitch perfect. Each member of the crew takes his turn peeking through the periscope, ending with the rhythmic clang of the periscope's handle and tears in his eyes, is a moving scene, and the submarine drifting away from the guy who decided to stay behind is another memorable, great scene. The Grand Prix race (and the after-effects in Julian's garage) is really well done. The look on Julian's face captures this perfect bittersweetness, such a hopeless fulfillment of a dream. The last image of the movie is also fantastic. Well-acted from top to bottom and shot with some great details (loved the bicycles). That sure was a roomy submarine though, wasn't it? And I could go without hearing "Waltzing Matilda" for a very long time.

11 comments:

cory said...

There are many great moments and scenes in this film, especially when they visit San Francisco (the best part of the movie) and the San Diego mystery. The end is also very poignant, where everyone has to decide what is really important to them and how they want to go (at least that Australian Admiral found a benefit to all of this). Gregory Peck is great, as you mention, and it was very interesting watching Perkins, knowing he is about to begin "Psycho"

That said, I didn't like it quite as much as you. The first hour before they leave on their journey really lacked tension given the circumstances. It is important to have the character development, but there just seemed to be more melodrama than real drama, and it kind of drags.

The weak first hour keeps "On the Beach" from being a great movie, but it is still good with great parts. A 15.

Winter Rates: I need a replacement.

l@rstonovich said...

glad you liked it Shane-O...

I was a tad worried about this one... I'm a sucker for the 50's greats, Peck being at the top, and Perkins begins his creep run...

Replacement: Peeping Tom. Criterion.

I'm thinking about making a sharable Google Docs spread shit for this shit...is that insanely gay, this is just getting complicated...

cory said...

I'll actually need a new one because I saw "Peeping Tom" a few months ago. A very interesting movie. You should check out Shane's review. Any other good ones to choose from?

l@rstonovich said...

Probably did read his review... can't keep track hmmm let me think...

I could stick with the great 50's actors and say "A Place In The Sun"

I'm a big Montgomery Clift fan..

I enjoyed Ang Lee's "Lust, Caution" quite a bit...

l@rstonovich said...

freaking impossible to find his Peeping Tom review...

cory said...

That's strange. When I search at the top for Peeping Tom it comes up. I have seen "A Place in the Sun" and it is one of my all-time favorite movies. Great choice but I'll need another. I don't think Shane has seen it, though. Your ... makes me think you're not sure about the Lee movie. I'm willing to watch it if you recommend it.

cory said...

I also love many of the movies from the 50's. You'll notice three of my current five are from that decade.

l@rstonovich said...

I'm so retarded I never noticed that "Search Blog" function.. this will make recommending movies he hasn't reviewed a hell of a lot easier...

As for the Ang Lee, I'm just a chronic ellipses dropper... (see, I didn't even mean to drop that one)

Lust, Caution had a big to-do about the sex in it... which is nice sex but it was beautifully shot and thrilling flick to me with a nice historical backdrop.

l@rstonovich said...

amazed you haven't see Night of the Iguana or Reflections In A Golden Eye..

Both John Huston, one is based on Tennessee Williams the other Carson McCullough (sp?)

Two of my fav. flicks ever...

Shane said...

geez...that's a lot of commenting.

So the Ang Lee movie is the replacement? I haven't seen it. I hope it's better than 'Brokeback Hulk'!

l@rstonovich said...

I stick by it... should it garner less than a 15 I'll rethink my recommendations in the future but so far I've been good, and been really please when you review my favorites and I brace my self for a fight and I see a 18-20 rating which is really common...so we're on the same page...(convoluted comment with ellipses)