Bruno

2009 comedy

Rating: 16/20

Rating: Fashion klutz Bruno gets himself fired from his Austrian television style show. He decides to move to Los Angeles with the hope of becoming internationally famous. Inspired by America's finest and famous, he attempts to make connections, adopt African babies, and find a cause to support. Eventually, he even tries, with the aid of some friendly Christians, to cure himself of homosexuality.

The scenes that nearly had me on the floor: the interview with Mariah Carey*, the focus group watching his television show and interview with Harrison Ford, the casting call for babies to pose for pictures with his adopted son, the lessons on how to defend yourself against a homosexual, the hunting scenes. It's impossible not to compare this with Borat. Personally, I think it's better. There's no goofily pointless Pam Anderson plot, and there are less scenes that either don't work or go on far too long. Bruno's story does parallel Borat's quite a bit, and at times, the gross-out or potty-mouthed stuff seems like it came from a mind belonging to a man who was working too hard to top himself. But I was entertained from start to finish although I can't remember a time when I felt as uncomfortable while being entertained. This also works satirically, and it takes a special kind of talent to make something that is simultaneously incredibly stupid and profoundly witty at the same time. Bruno was easily my least favorite Ali G Show character, but I really liked what Cohen did with the character in this movie. Once again, I feel that Cohen should be in discussion for "best actor" awards. His comic timing, the physical comedy, and his ability to create this absolutely ridiculous character that becomes so real are awesome. I don't understand how he can do this stuff without breaking character and bursting into laughter, and I also don't understand how he did some of this without being killed. The guy who plays the assistant (Lutz) is a bit overshadowed, but he also does an amazing job.

I will watch this with the commentary now.

*Ya know, they're really all interchangeable. Apparently, it was Paula Abdul, not Mariah Carey. My apologies to both divas.

6 comments:

cory said...

I think that I also liked this a little more than "Borat". It started a little slow, and there was more penis than I cared to see, but this guy does not have a shame or fear button, and the movie is hilarious.

You mentioned several great scenes, but when he had an encounter with Milli Vanilli, I was "blown" away. When he goes on the talk show, to the Middle East, goes redneck camping, and especially the Arkansas cage, I was filled with admiration for a guy who will do anyhing to shock and amuse and expose hypocrisy.

I was amazed and amused by Cohen and I was shocked by some of the people in on the joke for the end credits.
A 17.

Shane said...

Which names in the end credits shocked you? I didn't pay attention to the credits. I did watch this twice, the second time with the commentary on as you recommended (by the way, that is something I almost NEVER do...just Herzog movies because I like his voice). It was mostly because I wanted to get an idea of how much of this was staged and who exactly was involved. The really ditsy model, Mariah Abdul, some of the others? I just couldn't decide if their responses were legitimate or just some really great acting. I guess I shouldn't have given Paula Carey credit for being able to pull that off though. But yeah, so many of these situations seemed so dangerous when Cohen and Larry Charles gave them some context, and so much work and creativity went into the planning and execution of some of these stunts to get maybe just a few seconds of footage. It really made me appreciate the movie more. While watching, I knew the stuff in the Middle East had to be fairly scary. And I knew he was doing more than a few things that could have gotten him arrested. But the redneck camping trip? One of those idiots could have easily shot him. The beating he took at that swingers party? No way did I figure that woman was not in on the joke, probably because she had a few things in common with Pamela Anderson. Finding out that he left with not only a bunch of welts but a broken thumb though? Wow.

The set-up of that finale in Arkansas is so perfect. Watching the faces of those super-heterosexual cage-fighting fans is definitely one of the best things I've seen all year. I can't imagine them looking them looking more anguished if somebody told them their entire family had just been killed.

Cohen sure is ballsy (sometimes maybe too literally), and I can't wait to see what he does next. I can't imagine he can get any more mileage out of any of the three HBO show characters.

cory said...

I meant Bono and Sting and the Snoop dude singing at the end. Being involved with something like this movie could have easily backfired on anyone involved.

Since you mention Mariah Paula Carey Abdul, I loved the question about humanitarian goals as she is sitting on a Mexican. There is a deleted scene with Pete Rose in the sam set-up. I also thought the Ron Paul bedroom scene (more politicians are in deleted scenes, as well). It would be great to see this movie with someone it offends.

Shane said...

Well, my brother (anonymous) described 'Borat' as "stupid and offensive"...I can understand stupid, but I'm not sure what offended him. It's not like he's ultra-conservative or anything.

Oh, the music. Yeah, that was an interesting assortment of talent singing with him. I was surprised to see Snoop and Bono and Sting...but Elton John? Nice catch there.

I watched the deleted scenes. Pete Rose is both an idiot and an ass, so I'm glad he looked like a fool. I guess they were going to use the Latoya Jackson interview until Michael Jackson died. Paula Abdul was much funnier for the exact question/answer that you mention! Latoya, I think, actually ate food off the naked guy though.

Watching the movie, watching the deleted scenes, watching the movie again with commentary...I spent far too much time with Bruno.

l@rstonovich said...

I only watched this because you gave it a 16, and I am glad I did. I guess I'd give it a 15. The Arkansas finale was amazing, I downloaded it so I don't have the commentary though...
I definitely didn't laugh out loud at this as much as I did Borat, but it's like the "Best In Show" guys with their mocumentary scripts... it gets dulled after awhile. ...

The hunting trip really seemed fucking dangerous.

Shane said...

There probably aren't too many people (non-suicidal ones anyway) who would try to pull off that hunting trip gag...trying to crawl naked into the tent of an armed homophobe? Doesn't sound like a good idea.