Departures

2008 death movie

Rating: 16/20

Plot: After Daigo's orchestra is disbanded, he and his wife move to his old hometown where he takes a job with a travel agency. It's not a normal travel agency though because the destination is the afterlife and his clients are dead. He learns the trade from the boss and tries to cope with life's changes. When his wife finds out exactly what his new career involves, she's pissed. Oh, snap!

So I kept thinking about how much I liked the performance of Tsutomu Yamazaki, the older gentleman who played Daigo's boss. He seemed familiar, and since I've seen my share of Japanese movies, I figured I'd likely seen him in something before. Turns out he played the truck driver in Tampopo, one of the first movies I recommended to reader Cory who recommended this to me. In a lot of ways, this reminds me of Tampopo (also known as Dandelion apparently); it's very Japanese, delicate to the point here it almost seems breakable and alternating between very humorous moments and some poignant scenes that make you cry. I enjoyed watching the rituals, and both actors (Yamazaki and Masahiro Motoki as the main character) do a good job with the minute details involved with preparing the dead bodies for burial. Watching Daigo's growth in this is a beautiful experience. He makes some startling decisions at times in this movie, and it's neat how as he gets more and more involved with death, he develops a better understanding and appreciation for life. It all builds to a revealing and touching climax that I thought manipulated very effectively. This is very foreign film, Foreign with a capital F, and the pacing was difficult for me, a fan of Ghostrider. I can't imagine many American filmmakers who would show this many scenes of a guy playing the cello outside. Departures handles the idea of mortality and the emotions involved with the death of loved ones as well as any movie I've ever seen. The sheer amount of death in this movie, a body count rivalling the Kill Bills, should make this the most depressing movie ever, yet it manages to be really uplifting. Lovely stuff.

OK, that comparison to Kill Bill is a huge exaggeration. This barely has any kung-fu at all although there is a pretty bitchin' scene where the couple battles a killer octopus.

2 comments:

cory said...

Very nice review, including the octopus battle stuff that I somehow missed. This is an incredibly gentle movie about a subject that is usually avoided by our culture (and me). It is very touching, and it really made me think (as much as that's possible, anyway). This isn't one I would recommend to many people, but I had a feeling you might like it. A 16 for me, as well. The replacement is also something not for everyone...a doc called "Exit Through the Gift Shop". Thanks for watching this and my comments about "Slacker" are forthcoming right...now.

Shane said...

Well, thanks for recommending it!

Ok, the octopus scene wasn't a real battle scene. Nevertheless, it was a terrific scene, not only on a symbolic level (or almost like a contrast to the job he ends up with--octopus goes from "dead" to alive) but also for character development.

Another scene I thought was really powerful: the scene where Daigo starts manhandling his wife after his first (?) day on the job, like he's just so happy to be around a living person.

I hope you didn't hate 'Slacker'...we'll blame Larry if you did.