Make Way for Tomorrow

1937 weeper

Rating: 17/20

Plot: Bark and Lucy Cooper, the elderly parents of five children, get those ingrates together and announce that they are losing their home. None of the children will take both parents in, and Bark and Lucy are forced to live apart for the first time in many many years. Things don't work out so well, and eventually, he's on his way to live with another one of his offspring in California while she's on her way to an old folks home. They get together for one final afternoon and evening and celebrate their lives together while dreaming of a time when they can share a home again.

Not much in the first half of the movie grabbed me. I liked the two central characters fine as 1930's characters. The children were all about the same, selfish and ungrateful. The interactions between the characters were depressing and even a little uncomfortable. Things developed dismally and then proceeded to get even more dismal. The movie wasn't terrible, but something was missing. Then, at about the halfway point, it became magical. What was missing was apparently face-to-face old people interaction. The scenes during the second half of the movie where they're spending time together are nothing short of beautiful, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried a little bit. That second half of the film is packed with touching moments, my favorite being where the Coopers break the fourth wall, interrupting a kiss to glance back at me crying on my bed. The film's structure--the movie throws out the main conflict right away with little background or character development and saves revelations about the protagonists for the end of the film as they discuss their lives together--creates this startling contrast. Especially troubling is the juxtaposition between how they're treated and talked about by their own children and their experiences with a car salesman and a hotel manager. I imagine the uncompromising conclusion wouldn't be satisfying for every viewer, especially one looking for a bright and shiny 1930's Hollywood ending, but it works as a saggy exclamatory mark at the end of a beautiful and touching movie.

5 comments:

cory said...

I don't know how I have missed this, but it reminds me of another touching film, "Tokyo Story". Can I cheat (since I now want to see this anyway) and make it a "five"? How did you hear about it?

Shane said...

Sure, but if you don't like it, I'm calling you a no-hearted bastard to your face.

I hope I didn't give too much away up there.

I heared about it because Criterion released it. I liked the cover.

I should probably warn you about the sex scene. It's disturbing.

cory said...

Enjoy the 2,000 mile walk.

I have a very bad memory.

I love that Criterion exists. I don't love that having elitist tastes gets to be expensive.

Old people sex is sweet. There should be more of it.

cory said...

This is a very moving film that never shys away from its painful subject. It's obvious that the makers gave thought to every scene and moment, and I was surprised at how moved I was. The acting, especially for 1937 is excellent, and there are many subtle and beautifully written lines of dialogue. The phone call at the bridge game encapsulated the idea of the film as a whole. At first we, and the card players, can only see the old woman as an annoyance who doesn't fit in. Then in a very sweet way we see everything from her point of view. I loved that scene and the reaction of the players, and I really liked this heartfelt and very poignant movie. The line where the kids know what jerks they are, but not minding until they realized their dad felt that way is my favorite so far this year. Also a 17.

Any more recommendations?

Shane said...

I thought you'd like it! Glad you did.

That scene where they're playing bridge is a good one. It's almost like they trick you into feeling sympathy with the irritated daughter (right? not a son?) and her students before reminding you that you should actually be feeling sorry for somebody else in a really moving way.

Another recommendation? I'll have to think about it. Oh! I got one! 'Drive Angry' with Nicolas Cage. It comes out February 25. No, I haven't seen it. I just assume it's the "Citizen Kane" of 3-D angry driving movies.