Lifeboat

1944 Hitchcock movie

Rating: 16/20

Plot: A black guy, a nerdy guy, a guy who likes dancing, a guy who doesn't like to wear a shirt, a snobbish socialite, a young woman, and maybe a couple people I've forgotten about survive the sinking of their ship. Tension mounts when they pick up one of the Germans who torpedoed their ship. They debate what to do with their "prisoner" but soon realize they may have to rely on his expertise to save them from their predicament.

I was skimming a trivia page for Lifeboat and came across this nugget: Members of the crew noticed that Tallulah Bankhead was performing sans underwear and brought the issue to Uncle Alfred's attention. Hitchcock answered, probably while chewing on marbles, "I don't know if this is a matter for the costume department, makeup, or hairdressing." I told my wife this, and she asked (with that scrunched-up face she makes some times), "Are you putting that in the blog?" I said, "Of course!" She suggested I start writing cleaner and "get rid of the randiness." So that brings us to the first shane-movies poll of 2011! Please leave your answer(s) in the comments. Do you:

A) want less randiness
B) want a lot less randiness
C) want more randiness
D) want a whole lot more randiness, randiness of Mary Poppins proportions!
E) want nothing but randiness
F) want no randiness at all
G) want the exact same amount of randiness
H) want the same amount of randiness but desire some diversity in the randiness
I) have no problems with randiness as long as it's not too gross or read too close to dinner time
J) have problems even remembering any shane-movies randiness in previous entries
K) have no problem with randiness as long as it's in an entry about randy old Uncle Alfred's movies
L) just want me to write about the movies and not go on and on about randiness
M) want this to be the randiest blog in the history of the Internet
N) think I should start having give-aways like some blogs my wife reads


Quick note: Two movies in a row to start this year with a compound word for a title. Although I'm not sure Timecrimes is a real word.

The movie? Well, John Steinbeck wrote it, based on Hitchcock's idea, and Hitchcock directed it. For a 40's movie that takes place entirely in a boat (Hitchcock experimenting again with a one-setting movie), it sure manages to seem realistic. I like that Hitchcock wasn't afraid to take a tense situation and throw in some comic moments. There are a lot of characters for one lifeboat, and I wish they could have been developed more. This is the type of movie that forces the viewer to put themselves in the situation of its characters and imagine making the same choices though, and it is a story more about the situation than the individuals involved. I really liked Walter Slezak as the enigmatic German, always calculating and with motivations that don't entirely make sense to me. Odd ending, one that made me wonder if Hitchcock was messing with me. Speaking of the director, you've got to look close for his trademark cameo, but it's a clever one.

8 comments:

cory said...

This is one of Alfred's more underrated great movies. The acting is uniformly excellent in this tense drama. A 17.

As far as how randy you should be...I am very hard to offend, so be as randy as you like as long as it's funny.

cory said...

If this is any guage, all naughty movie trivia or anything to do with Tallulah's who-ha is both funny and welcome.

Shane said...

I almost gave this a 17 but then I remembered how I was criticized for being too high with 'The Wrong Man' and chickened out!

The trivia stuff I saw for this was interesting. One actor nearly drowned, production had to be shut down a couple times because the actors kept getting sick, Tallulah got pneumonia twice. Watching the movie, I really thought they might be in an actual body of water unlike, say, 'The Old Man and the Sea' where you can tell he's nowhere near a body of water. Or maybe even water at all.

cory said...

This film is much more unique and interesting than "The Wrong Man", in my opinion. If you want more Tallulah, go to the Wikipedia on her. She was a very funny and interesting slut...no judgement intended.

cory said...

I for one would really like it if you wanted to add a bit of trivia to the end of your reviews. If you are doing that kind of research, it would be a great addition to the Shane experience.

Barry said...

I liked this one quite a bit. The movie is made by Walter Slezak, and its great fun watching his master race mentality almost take over the entire boat.

I give it a 17. It would be higher except it has, in an important role, the worst actor of the 20th century William Bendix. I hate any scene he is in, in any movie. The fact he bites it in this one is only partial redemption for casting him in the first place.

cory said...

If you want some laughs, check out Bendix in "The Babe Ruth Story".

Barry said...

I have seen the Babe Ruth story. Its a big reason I hate Bendix so very much.