Kill!

1968 samurai comedy

Rating: 16/20

Plot: A ex-samurai bumps into a farmer who desires to become a samurai in a dilapidated old town with a few people and a chicken in it. They end up on opposing sides of a gang war.

More a parody of samurai cinema than an actual samurai movie, Kill! is an entertaining ride albeit a convoluted and wacky one. I really liked Tatsuya Nakadai as the "Man with No Name" character Genta. He seemed recognizable, but that's probably just because all samurai look the same. And that's not racist because samurai ain't a race. Look it up. Look up Nakadai's resume, and you'll see a ton of movies I've seen though. I remember watching this movie before I should have (like, before I'd watched a bunch of the other movies on Nakadai's resume), and I understood it even less. This time, I dug it despite not completely being able to follow every twist and turn, every betrayal and backstab. The cinematography's nifty, the camera often finding itself in places other directors wouldn't put it, and Okamoto, like so many other Japanese action directors, sure can frame a scene. He also knows how to set a mood, from the claustrophobic fort the seven guys hole themselves up in to the ubiquitous dust during the opening ten or so minutes that reminded me more of a spaghetti western than anything else. And speaking of that genre, I thought the music, obvious nod to Morricone, was strange but also strangely fitting. Pretty cool flick, the personal level of coolness probably determined by how many of these types of movies the viewer has seen.

Kihachi Okamoto is the director of a really bitchin' movie called The Sword of Doom, by the way. You should definitely see that one.

3 comments:

cory said...

Would "Sword of Doom" be a good "five" for me?

Oh...and sorry about the Colts.

Shane said...

Oh, man. I thought I had made 'Sword of Doom' a "five" but I was getting it mixed up with the movie I actually did make a "five" which is called 'A Touch of Zen'...nevermind on 'Sword of Doom'...it's fine but not anything I'd really recommend. I was playing some online poker and mourning when I typed that out and must have been confused.

The Colts...Cauldwell's been great for two years, but I wonder if the end of that game was mis-managed. The Colts were lucky to even be in the playoffs though.

cory said...

True, since they were one injury away from giving YOU a call. I just hate that it was the Jets that took them out.