True Grit

1969 western

Rating: 15/20 (Jen: 14/20)

Plot: Same as True Grit with The Dude except this one has The Duke.

In Germany, this is apparently known as Der Marshall. It was probably unfair to watch this so close to the new True Grit because this one looks almost flat by comparison. John Wayne's his normal larger-than-life self, this time with an eyepatch, and he gets a chance to ride a horse really fast and twirl guns around to remind everybody why he's the icon that he is. But he's not as good an actor as Jeff Bridges, and Bridges' Rooster is a better character in every way, nostalgia aside. Wayne still won an Oscar for this role though. This version didn't have the quirks and left turns of the Coens' take, and I missed them, probably because I enjoy left turns and quirks. This is straightforward, almost a movie that's afraid to take any chances. Again, I realize comparing it to the razzle-dazzle of a 20-teen's remake is completely unfair. Besides the Duke, you get a lot of character actors to fill in the story (Duvall, Hopper), and the girl (Kim Darby) wasn't terrible. But Glen Campbell? Casting Glen Campbell as Leboeuf was probably a mistake. This True Grit is a solid if not classic Western, and if you haven't seen it in a while, you should probably watch it before you watch the newest version.

By the way, I'm pretty sure the new True Grit is two points better than this version. I'm afraid rating another Coen Brother movie a 17/20 will cause somebody to accuse me of being a third Coen Brother or something.

5 comments:

cory said...

No chance of that, and I think it was a little unfair. I have not seen the new one (been debatin' that mighty hard), but I really like Wayne's version. As with most of his films, what he lacks in talent, he makes up for in presence. This is a top-10 to 15 western for me, and I would give it a 17.

Mel said...

I think John Wayne's acting ability was underrated. He frequently played the same role over-and-over, but the important thing is that he was believable.

Glenn Campbell's role might be the worst acting job in the history of the silver screen. It ALMOST ruins the movie.

Barry said...

I liked this movie, but agree that Campbell was horribly miscast. Kim Darby was pretty damn good as the little girl, and you really believed Wayne as Cogburn. I agree he is not nearly as good an actor as someone like Jeff Bridges, but he is the single greatest physical presence in movie history. He comes on the screen and you know he is there, and no kid or dog or anything else is going to distract you from him. So this character fit him perfectly and I think I liked Wayne in the role better than Bridges. With Bridges you were aware it was him, with the make up and the affectations. With Wayne it was just Wayne with an eyepatch.....which made it easier to get into the movie, and at no point am I drug out of the film by being distracted by him.

I give this one a 17...its flawed, but its a good story told in good way.

Shane said...

Wayne is always kind of a distraction to me. You're absolutely right about his physical presence though, Barry. And Mel, you're probably right about his acting ability, too.

Anonymous said...

It's der Marshal.