Extreme Animation: Films by Phil Mulloy

2009 collection

Rating: 14/20

Plot: Shorts about perverse and violent cowboys, the invention of writing and language, the ten commandments, head-crotch aliens, and the sex life of chairs.

I didn't have this long enough to enjoy it like I should have--in short installments. Over two hours of these crudely-drawn, almost entirely black and white animations turns out to be too much. Don't get me wrong. I did like the animation. Mulloy does a lot with stick figures, and his characters often move in surprising ways. I like Mulloy's humor, and there's a raw creativity with these shorts. At times though, the humor gets as juvenile as me with artsy references to sex and genitalia and all sorts of slapstick violence. All in all, I liked these things, just not in bulk.

No comments: