Cave of Forgotten Dreams

2010 cave painting documentary

Rating: 14/20

Plot: Werner Herzog and a bunch of boring people go into a cave to look at some paintings a child probably drew. See, they didn't have refrigerators in France 32,000 years ago, so cave parents just had their children draw on the walls. I'm not even a paleontologist, but I could figure that out. I have no idea why Werner Herzog didn't interview me for this movie.

This didn't thrill me, but it was nice seeing these pictures, the oldest human drawings we know of, even if it was just in boring old 2D. Some would say that Werner Herzog's narration gets in the way of his documenting, and although any of the 4 1/2 readers of this blog know exactly what I have to say about that, I thought his script here reached a bit. The outside-the-cave shots are really beautifully filmed. The inside-the-cave ones looked weird on my television, kind of wavy or something, probably the result of the 3D stuff. This didn't keep my interest for the duration, but it was worth watching.

I could probably paint a horse better than these people though. So overrated.

No comments: