Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

2004 love story

Rating: 18/20 (Jen: 17/20)

Plot: Joel plays hooky from work and takes the train to Montauk for reasons that he doesn't completely understand. He meets a blue-haired gal, and they hit it off. Soon, however, they discover that they not only were an item previously but that they both underwent an experimental procedure to wipe their memories clean of the other person. It's very touching.

Jim Carrey's such a good actor when he wants to be. He's got an everyman face that makes you want to root for him. I'd accuse myself of having a crush on him if I didn't already have a crush on Kate Winslet and/or Kirsten Dunst's underpants. This is such a fascinating fractured rom-com, one that is always more touching than it is funny. Intricately written and visually clever, this thing slides down the gullet so smoothly that it almost seems like it's half as long as it actually is. And somehow, even when the goings get sad, things still manage to be joyful. The storytelling feels fresh, and the premise, although there's so much sci-fi fantasy that you're forced to suspend disbelief more than a lot of romantic comedy fans might be willing to do, is creative. Other movies just aren't like this one. Sunshine entertains while making a pseudo-profound statement on love and loss and relationships. It's really a beautiful little movie.

You have to have a good eye, but this movie does contain a Tom Waits reference. And Jon Brion's got soundtrack duties for this one.

3 comments:

l@rstonovich said...

I've got some serious Montauk happenings in novel-in-progress, and I think you just identified where it came from.
this is def. charlie kaufman's best. look forward to a synodoche review. i think i need to watch that one again. serious keener.

Shane said...

It probably is, but I'm a sucker for this pseudo-intellectual shit, as gimmicky as it probably is. Love 'Malcovich' and 'Adaptation' too. 'Synecdoche' is on the blog somewhere. Jen and I disagreed on that one, and Cory didn't like it either. It's definitely something I'd need to see again. In fact, I think I wrote about how I was going to watch it again a week after the first time I saw it, but I never did.

Keener. Oh, man.

cory said...

Good review. Carrey and Winslet are terrific, and the film is very touching and wildly inventive. It's totally unique, and was one of those theatre experiences where I was affected for a few days before getting back to my normal, grumpy self. Also an 18.