Die Hard 2: Die Harder

1990 sequel

Rating: 12/20

Plot: The guy from the first movie--this time with shoes--gets angry because somebody tows his car and his wife's plane is late. He decides to take his anger out on some terrorists.

I should probably watch the original again. Although watching this actually made me feel like I was watching this again. This isn't a bad action movie, and I still like how the hero really feels the effects of everything that is happening to him. McClane is a hero who's going to remember the events of this movie when he takes a shower the next morning. Bruce Willis is his usual likable self although I wasn't a fan of his sweater. William Sadler shows a little versatility as the bad guy, and Franco Nero makes an appearance. Like the first movie, this one tests one's tolerance for implausibility more than a few times. There's a big plane crash scene where people act like they would in a big budget action movie. "We're all gonna die!" Somebody actually says that. Then--explosion! Bruce Willis dives into the snow, says "Oh God!" and then follows it with a "Motherfucker!" The music for this thing is immense--ubiquitous and pretty uninspired. I do like Marvin, but then there's that "Just like Iwo Jima!" thing that messes it all up. The Dennis Franz/McClane conflict got more and more comical as it went on, and I really got bored with the wife/reporter thing on the plane. Actually, I'm bored with the wife. Does she die at some point in this series, just like Jack Bauer's wife?

I might watch the rest of these, but I think I'll watch the first one again first.

One more thing: What did Willard Scott do to deserve that swipe?

2 comments:

cory said...

Loved the first one, warts and all, but was disappointed by this entry. I haven't watched it since it came out, but your implausibility comment is exactly right. A 13.

Shane said...

Oh, shoot. I can't rate this higher than you. I must have messed up. Adjusting...