Ted

2012 comedy

Rating: 9/20

Plot: Marky Mark refuses to grow up, spending all his free time smoking pot with his childhood friend--the titular teddy bear who was magically brought to life after the fairy from the Pinocchio story felt sorry for him because he was a loser and brought the stuffed animal to life. This puts a strain on his relationship with his girlfriend.

This is just a big game of "Let's see what crude things we can have a teddy bear do!" and I found it pretty annoying. I've never been a fan of The Family Guy, so I'm not really sure why I thought this might be funny. I guess it was knowing that there would be a teddy bear saying a lot of crude things and maybe, I predicted, having a sexual encounter with an adult female. I know, I'm not a genius for predicting that or anything. We all saw the previews, the perfect case where those could have just been repeated about thirty times to produce a similar result. I didn't anticipate the storyline being so predictable. And predictably lame. It's definitely too predictably pedestrian for a movie that features a talking teddy bear should be. I don't like Marky Mark anyway, and although I'll credit him with having a nice rapport with a CGI stuffed animal, I didn't like him here either. I also didn't like Mila Kunis's voice at all. I think she's supposed to be sexy or something. This is filled with gags that I am not going to remember in a year, and a lot of the targets it pushes around won't be around long enough for this to need to be seen in twenty years. It's nowhere near as funny as Gooby, another talking bear thing. In fact, I don't believe I laughed a single time. I laughed during Gooby just to try to keep myself sane.

This is about as well written as Ted, but I have an excuse: Rapid fire!

3 comments:

l@rstonovich said...

really detest family guy. marky mark is prob. my fav. contemporary actor tho. i'll skip this one.

Shane said...

He doesn't like being called Marky Mark.

Right, I would think that if one doesn't like Family Guy, one would not enjoy this movie much.

cory said...

I am a mild fan of "Family Guy", so I gave this a shot. I was distracted by Ted sounding exactly like Peter Griffin, but there was just enough here to keep me mildly entertained (especially liked the whole "Flash Gordon" storyline). I am not a Wahlberg fan, though, and just when I think he is trying to move to the next level as an actor in good material, his white trash roots show and he ends up in stuff like this and the upcoming "The Rock" exploitation flick. A 13.