Juno

2007 movie

Rating: 16/20 (Jen: 15/20)

Plot: Geeks have sex and end up pregnant.

Since I've seen and written about nearly every movie ever made, it's about time I do some reruns. I watched this in June of '08 and was kind of mean to it right here. I'm rating it three points higher, probably for a few reasons: 1) I have more of a context for Ellen Page now. Her character annoyed me a little the first time I watched this, but I liked her much better here. 2) Two Arrested Development actors. 3) I'm probably in a better mood.

By the way, did you guys know that writer Diablo Cody co-wrote the upcoming Evil Dead remake? That makes no sense to me at all.

I really don't like Rainn Wilson in this movie. Home skillet? The quirk almost oozes from the screen at that point.

One of my issues with this might have been that the titular character didn't really change much, at least beyond any superficial way of falling for Bleeker. But there's some subtlety that I missed the first time, best scene in Juno's first conversation with Bateman and Garner. I think she gets things by the end that she didn't get, as hip as she is, at the beginning of the movie.

I just gave this a bonus point for the use of that Moldy Peaches' song ("Anyone Else But You"), took it away again because they left out my favorite line ("Squinched up your face and did a dance/Shook a little turd out of the bottom of your pants."), and then gave it back again because the whole thing seemed ridiculous and made me embarrassed to be myself.

Ok, I have other things to do. I can't spend any more time with Juno.


3 comments:

cory said...

Still a 17.

Barry said...

Yeah...16 or 17 for me. I enjoyed it on several levels, but its also a movie that I cant watch too often, because the dialog is so mannered and aware of itself. Its clever and sharp and funny, but the characters are so unrealistic in their phrasing and attitudes. People just dont act like this in real life.

Shane said...

Weirdly enough, I don't think I liked the mannered and aware-of-itself dialogue and unrealistic characters the first time I saw this, but that sounds like the type of movie that's right up my alley!