Foxfur


2012 fantasy movie

Rating: 15/20

Plot: Foxfur has or have her or their reality or dream-life disrupted or ruptured when two UFO theorists are missing. She tries to figure out what dimension or maybe what year it is. She finds a bow and arrow.

This is a Damon Packard joint, and there's another guy who somebody needs to throw a ton of money out so that he could have no trouble putting his vision on screens for us. The guy's filled with ideas, he's smarter than everybody else, and makes the kind of movie magic with limited funds that just makes you wonder what he could do with more. What I love about Packard (Note: I've only seen this and Reflections of Evil) is that he doesn't allow budget limitations to affect his imagination. It's almost as if they guy's saying, "You don't think I can do much without a lot of money? Well, take a look at these ideas!" and then just throwing in anything that he can think of. It doesn't always seem coherent, but then again, I'm not the smartest movie fan in the world. Packard ties in UFO's, archery, elves, kitties, conspiracy theorists, inept rappers, some kind of fairy, M*A*S*H, sky ink, vehicular manslaughter, apathetic salesmen, humans' obsession with gadgets, multiple dimensions, and kitchen sinks to get his point across. At least I think kitchen sinks were involved. And no, I don't know exactly what that point might be. Like Reflections of Evil, this has some weirdly exaggerated sound effects and some dubbing and a sense of misanthropy. Unlike Reflections of Evil, this has more of a mainstream plot--actually, I feel ridiculous typing that--and has more dialogue. The dialogue's funny, like snippets of things Packard's remembered from dreams. A character saying, "Subatomic, fool. I know that shit," a hip-hop scientist or something. Another favorite: "I shaved it off while you were sleeping," a line that probably wouldn't be funny to any of you even in context but the kind of thing that makes me laugh. Oh, and this great dialogue:

"Why are you in a wheelchair?"
"I don't know."

With an actor who sounds a little like Albert Brooks and about six different women playing the titular heroine which I'm sure means something. Maybe it just means that his actresses kept leaving like my actors did when I made my movie in high school. Anyway, one of them screams all her lines which is something that I can respect.

This is not a movie I would recommend to a lot of people.

No comments: