Hercules



1997 mythology cartoon

Rating: 15/20 (Abbey: 10/20; Emma: 13/20; Buster: 2011/20 [Best movie ever!])

Plot: Hades gets word that Zeus's kid might get in his way when he's trying to take over the universe and sends his thugs to take away the titular future-hero's immortality and do away with him. They screw it up because one of them is Bobcat Goldthwait. Hercules grows into a young adult, finds himself a satyr to train him, meets a girl, and starts ridding Greece of treacherous monsters. But Hades might have one last trick up his sleeve.

I'm really not sure about the fiery Baptist music in this. Sure the movie needs a Greek chorus, but that "Gospel truth" stuff didn't really seem to fit. Actually, I'm not sure I liked any of the songs and none of them are memorable save for the lively "Zero to Hero" sequence. The animation style is a vibrant combination of old and new and seems to preview the look and tone of the superior and more cohesive Emperor's New Groove which came out a few years after this one. Olympus looks cool, and the gods and goddesses are all sorts of shiny and colorful. I'm not sure who gave the animators the go-ahead to give Zeus such wacky nipples, and I'm not sure whose idea it was to make Rip Torn the King of the Gods, but it is cool how he goes three-quarters when he hurls those lightning bolts. I did like their decision to make Danny DeVito's character Philoctetes look exactly like Danny DeVito but was confused about why that character was sans nipples. He's a good character. At first, I wondered if he was necessary or just a way to pass time like that stupid snowman in Frozen, but without DeVito, we wouldn't get that Karate Kid reference in this thing. And references to Mr. Miyagi always make things better. I didn't really like how Hercules himself looked, especially the in-between age one with the humongous calves and normal-looking everything else. The character moves and seems to have a lot of the same facial expressions as Aladdin, doesn't he? "Meg" (Why's she named that anyway? Shouldn't she be Persephone?) has beautiful animated curves and maybe the best hair of any female Disney character. And there's some cleavage. I think I recall this movie not doing very well, and it was probably because we're a Christian nation. Christians don't like other deities, and they definitely don't like cleavage. It's a double whammy of sin. They do seem to like stories about bad guys trying to kill babies though. Meg gives a great example of bad cartoon character acting when she starts crying at one point, but I'm not sure how Christians feel about bad acting. Of course, everybody (as in, you guys) was right about the Hades character. He is a great villain, kind of a concoction of other Disney villains in a way. I'd probably put him right before the Queen of Hearts on my villain list a few posts ago. James Woods gives him a presence and this unexpected personality. I like his eyes, the yellow drooping eyes of a villain who is kind of tired of all this shit, and the blue fire hair that turns into angry fire when he's pissed, the scrawny fingers, and the pointy teeth fit the Lord of the Underworld perfectly. And I like how the Disney folk were willing to go a little dark with the character. Shape-shifting sidekicks Pain and Panic are fun, too, and both Bobcat and Matt Frewer give the characters personality. I think I like my villain sidekicks more on the bumbling side. I also liked how the mortals were drawn and the shapes of their body parts, comically exaggerated caricatures to distinguish them from the deities. Their absurd pointed noses, their flab, their gnarled bits, their stretched necks. There's just so much variety and color to all of this. And I love the backgrounds, bits of sky almost reminding me of the rotoscoped backgrounds in Wizards. And how cool is that whirlpool of souls? There's a dark Disney image for you, something that could have come straight out of Fantasia. The animation never feels like it has a consistent voice, but it always keeps you on your toes, especially during the action scenes with all the flying around, the stomping hulking Titans, the monsters, comic destruction. Man, I loved how the Hydra moved around. I was digging it when it just had a single head, but things got really cool when it had fifty or however-many. I'm not sure I liked that Pegasus sidekick of Hercules though. The gags are hit and miss, as are the anachronisms--5,000,001 served, references to indoor plumbing ("It's gonna be big."), a mythological high five, Zeus called "Mr. Hey You Get Off of My Cloud," the wanna-buy-a-sundial guy, all the puns, and references to I Love Lucy, Midnight Cowboy, Marilyn Monroe, Nike Air Jordans (too easy)--but there are definitely some funny moments. Some of it's groan inducing, but it does keep things lively and unpredictable. And the "small underworld after all" was nice. This was much better than I expected it to be, and a lot more fun. Even if you don't like the characters, the conflict, the songs, or the animation, you'll still have a fun enough time trying to catch all the mythological allusions stuffed in there. I wonder if Disney ever had plans to explore the stories of the other characters in this world?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought the music was the best part of this movie (James Woods is a close second if not the best part). Coming from a gospel background, I can vouch for its authenticity and genuine structure.

Aside from nostalgia, I think Alan Menken is a genius. Part of the fun of these different Disney movies, is the eclectic style and formula of which they're made. Each movie is set in a different time period and geographical place. The style and musical genre are patterned and molded to match. "Little Mermaid" had a distinguished Caribbean feel, Aladdin began with the "Arabian Nights" song to fit the haunting tone of the mystical Middle East, and I'm sure Pocahontas had some drums and pan-flutes and other primitive shit. Likewise with "Hercules;" facing a religious-oriented, mythical tale, Menken chose to do black gospel (instead of chorale music or madrigals). Smart move, kept it lively.

I thought the uptempo numbers were a blast. The opening credits with the Greek chorus/black songbirds belting out prologue...and the "Zero to Hero" has tried to be copied, yet never duplicated (i.e. Frozen's "Fix this Fixer-upper"). I think "Go the Distance" is an awesome anthem. The Michael Bolton cover is good and I think it should have taken the Oscar that year for Best Song, but Titanic blew its load all over the awards that year...

Unknown said...

By the way, is the title misspelled on the cover picture you posted? It's spelled "HERCULE"...isn't there an "s" missing?

Shane said...

Yeah, I don't know what's going on there. Maybe he sliced off the s?

Sometimes, I have to hear these Disney songs multiple times before I like them. Maybe that's the case here. The gospel just didn't make a lot of sense with the mythology, but you're right about it being lively. They weren't bad songs really, just not memorable.

Of course, if I hear Disney songs 90,000 times in one month, I end up detesting them. "Let It Go" and all those songs from The Lion King, for example...

Unknown said...

I've got an Alan Menken mix. I did a little research on Disney music and found that Alan Menken was the genius behind the Disney of the 90's. Menken also branched out and helped with some stage/film musicals ("Little Shop of Horrors" and "Newsies"). It's cool to hear the music back to back without all of the nonsense in between. It also really highlights the musical style of which each movie was given (calypso, Middle Eastern, classical, gospel, Doo-wop, western, Motown).

Shane said...

If you say the music in this is good, it probably is. I'll give it a few days and then listen to the soundtrack on Spotify or something. Maybe the songs are better than I thought they were. I will say this though: I don't think I like the music in 1990's Disney stuff as much as most people or as much as I love their classic stuff. Maybe I should do a Disney song list some day.

By the way, Van Dyke Parks is the name of that guy I was trying to think of the other day when discussing The Jungle Book's songs. The Shermans wrote the songs. Apparently, Van Dyke Parks just did some arranging. Guy's a genius though, and you should check his stuff out.

cory said...

Sorry Josh, but I loathed the music, which I found jarring and a strange choice for the film. The songs are musically fine, I just don't like them in this movie. I also hated Shaffer as Hermes (a bizarre choice for one of my favorite Gods). Other than that, I really enjoy "Hercules". All the other voicework is excellent, especially Woods and Devito, and the movie has great pace and weirdly fun animation. A 17.

cory said...

Sorry Josh, but I loathed the music, which I found jarring and a strange choice for the film. The songs are musically fine, I just don't like them in this movie. I also hated Shaffer as Hermes (a bizarre choice for one of my favorite Gods). Other than that, I really enjoy "Hercules". All the other voicework is excellent, especially Woods and Devito, and the movie has great pace and weirdly fun animation. A 17.

Shane said...

I think that's exactly how I feel about the music. Fine songs, but a strange stylistic choice for mythology. I can't think of what genre should have been there though. I don't exactly know my B.C.-era music all that well.

That was Paul Shaffer? I knew that voice was familiar mixed in with all the other noise of those Olympus scenes. I forgot to look him up. Surprised I didn't recognize him.

Unknown said...

Why would Alan Menken want to accurately represent that periods music in this film? It would be a form of Gregorian chant... Like I said in my post, he could have done other religious-oriented styles to fit the mythology/religious setting, but again, that would have left us with chorale music or a madrigal medley. Boring. He could have gotten a lyre, harp, and pan flutes and tooted something a bit more historically accurate, but he made a smart choice: choose a religiously-oriented style of music that is lively and uptempo -- Gospel (more specifically, black gospel). This is mainly the Muses theme. The solos are all basic pop structures that could have been in any other Disney movie. There's not much difference between DeVito's solo, "One Last Hope," and say Robin William's solo "Friend Like Me." The "Meg" solo is just a doo-wop rhythm and structure. And the "Go the Distance" anthem is basically "Part of That World" or "Colors of the Wind" or "A Whole New World;" it's just simple chord structures with little to no surprises -- something that a pop artist (Celine Dion, Pebo Bryson, Vannessa Williams) can cover and get a single on the charts. I don't know what else could have been done to keep the music creative.

Shane said...

I completely understand that (borderline magical) point of view...

I think part of what makes the movie so much fun is that it's a little schizophrenic, and the black gospel stuff sort of fits in with that. And no, I wouldn't want any traditional Greek drama chorus music. Can you imagine how much that would confuse little kids.

What you have to understand in this music discussion, Josh, is that Cory and I are a lot older than you. We're curmudgeonly. I really do think I'd like the music more if I watched this a second time.