Mortified Nation


2013 documentary

Rating: 14/20

Plot: People read their adolescent diaries in front of crowds.

I was a little annoyed with some of this, people taking advantage of their Warholian 15 minutes of fame in our reality-obsessed culture. Most of this is made up of performances, and they're a little hit and miss although a lot of them make up for being misses by coming from people with interesting and sometimes touching backgrounds. I like this idea as a psychological tool, a way to exorcise a few adolescent demons. Sure, it's a room full of people making fun of their most embarrassing secret thoughts, but it's ok because they're in on the joke. I guess I'm glad I watched this, but I don't think it's something I'd watch as a television series. And it could easily become a television series.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it is a tv series sort of. i liked the concept. as a teen everything is so overwhelming looking back we can laugh at it. if we could understand that in 5 years this will be funny i think it would take some of the tradegy out of some peoples high school ifes. this doc is hit and miss some of the stars are funnier than others. i was fond of the future rap star.