Halloween Movie Fest: The House That Drips Blood on Alex (short)


2010 horror short

Rating: n/r

Plot: Alex moves into his new house on 3 Blood Street, and it begins to drip blood on him.

I'll leave this here for anybody who hasn't seen this: http://www.cc.com/cc-studios/the-house-that-drips-blood-on-alex-starring-tommy-wiseau/tespbn/the-house-that-drips-blood-on-alex----starring-tommy-wiseau

The interest in this little comedy short is that Tommy Wiseau plays the titular guy who has blood dripped on him. He's not in control of this production, but in a way, he's in complete control of this production. It doesn't really matter what Wiseau is supposed to be saying or what his lines actually are because he's going to Wiseau them and turn them into something magical. This is supposed to be funny, and it is, and although I think Wiseau is in on the joke, I'm not really sure he's that in on the joke if you know what I mean. This is under 13 minutes long, but there's a whole lot of Tommy Wiseau packed into that 13 minutes, and if you're like me, that makes it worthwhile. Hell, it might be worth it just to hear him talking about a fancy pen ("I might as well be writing with a duck") or starting a story with "Back when I was a little girl." There are also a lot of close-ups of Wiseau's face if you're into that sort of thing. I know that one of my blog readers is.

I think I might watch this again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy fucking shit...I can't enough of that guy! You're absolutely right that Wiseau is in on the joke. But, you're right again when you say he's not really in on it. The joke being made is that this is a funny short with some funny lines. Wiseau plays says the lines and does what he's supposed to do. But it's obvious that Wiseau is being hired to play Wiseau, and he's definitely NOT in on that.

Wiseau has this cadence -- this broken, overemphasized, syllable-destroyed, 2nd language way of speaking as if Christopher Walken, William Shatner, and Arnold Schwarzenegger had a baby (and we all know that Arnold can have a baby after "Junior"). It's one of a kind and magnificent. I would literally hear Wiseau read from the now-archaic phone-book, and thank Jehovah, God Almighty for allowing this man to have the means to be heard by so many.

What's also so brilliant about his celebrity existence is that he doesn't get it. He was really acting in most of those scenes. That first part where he's sitting in the theater with the girls is legit to him. He's trying to set the mood with this acting. Well, he has my undivided attention whenever he shows up.

Thanks for sharing that one!

Shane said...

Exactly! You always mention self-awareness, and although the guy knows he's in a comedy and has some really stupid things to say in this, I think he's oblivious to what makes his performances truly magical.

I'm pretty sure Tommy Wiseau is Schwarzenegger's baby.