Muppets Most Wanted

2013 Muppet movie

Rating: 13/20 (Abbey: 15/20; Buster: Miss Piglet/20)

Plot: The titular gang gets mixed up in an elaborate heist plot while on a world tour. Kermit's jailed after being mistaken for a criminal mastermind.

Other than fake-Kermit's voice, I didn't think this was very funny at all. And I hated the songs. And none of the puppetry had that typical Muppet magic. The story felt a little flat and unoriginal. The cameos did nothing for me, and although Gervais was pretty good, Modern Family's Ty Burrell and Tina Fey really weren't. And, of course, there wasn't nearly enough Lew Zealand. Disney owns the Muppets now, and it's hard to see how they're giving Marvel guys and Star Wars guys their own stand-alone movies without doing the same for Muppet characters. Where's my fucking Lew Zealand movie? Seriously, how can anybody not want to know this guy's back story? In fact, I'm going to go ahead and demand this. Disney, if you're reading this (and I know you are because you're constantly Googling yourself), give the people what they want--a Lew Zealand origin story. Throw him into the Star Wars universe if you want. I don't care.


It wasn't just that this wasn't as good as the last Muppets movie. It might not be as good as any other Muppets movie. Maybe I was just in a bad mood when I watched this, but it just seemed to lack the creativity, the liveliness, and the pure fun of my favorite Muppets stuff. It's still the Muppets and therefore worth watching, but it's definitely a disappointment.

No comments: