The Interview


2014 controversial comedy

Rating: 7/20

Plot: A couple of jackasses with a successful talk show are sent to one of the Koreas (like alligators and crocodiles, I get those confused) to assassinate the evil dictator.

This is almost exactly as good as I thought it would be. I had to watch it in two installments because James Franco kept yelling at me. Franco, by the way, is pretty terrible in about half of the movies he's in. He's trying way too hard here. This performance seems about as painful to him as shitting a concrete block. Everything's strained, like he's trying to squeeze every single bit of funny out of every unfunny line. A real friend would tell him to stop doing this kind of stuff. Seth Rogan, a real friend, isn't much better, but that's what I expect from him since he's never really seemed like an actor. Every time I see him in a role, I think, "Seriously, how did this guy even get in movies?" Of course, if he stumbled across this blog, he'd probably say, "Seriously, why does this guy think he's qualified to write about movies?" This movie pushes the envelope but actually misses and falls over the table and right onto the floor. I didn't laugh once, but at least I feel more American after watching it. I even went out and purchased a pair of red, white, and blue underpants as soon as it was over. God bless America, a country where people have the right to make something like this and still end up with a career.

James Franco baffles me. I'm anxious about the film adaptation he's making of the book about the making of one of my favorite movies ever--The Room. I think he's going to screw the whole thing up, and a bad movie about the making of that bad movie is the kind of meta that could cause the world to implode. This project could end all movies.

No comments: