Epic


2013 animated adventure movie

Rating: 11/20 (Abbey: 16/20; Buster: 20/20)

Plot: A bunch of little people are fighting in the woods, and the daughter of a guy who has been hunting for the little people is shrunk to their size and joins the fight. It's epic!

Buster called this "the best movie ever," but I disagree.

I'll start with the positives. The animation is beautiful. I liked what these Blue Sky people have done with settings in the past. Ice Age had its simple but effective backgrounds and made glaciers seem interesting. This has lush backdrops and all kinds of terrific movement. There's color and creativity.

Now, the bad. It's really boring, and even though I watched it about 8 days ago, I really can't remember a thing about it. The characters were flat. There wasn't enough going on with any of the good guys to make me really care about them, and the bad guys weren't all that interesting either. None of the humor worked, and two slug characters thrown in this for comic relief were almost as irritating as Jar Jar or that snowman from Frozen.

This is way duller than a movie called Epic should be allowed to be. This is the exact type of movie that I'll see a reference to in a few years and wonder if I've ever seen it. Of course, that might have more to do with my brain than anything else.

No comments: