10 Rillington Place


1971 killer movie

Rating: 15/20

Plot: The dirty deeds of a British serial killer are blamed on a neighbor.

This film about a real-life serial killer in this titular English address is less concerned over the grisly details of his murders and more concerned with the effects of impulsivity with investigations about these sorts of things. Murderer John Christie is at the center of things, of course, and the movie does take its time to show you his procedures as he stalks, plans, and kills, but the story's main conflict has more to do with the character played by a very young John Hurt.

The actual murder scenes are creepy because of the mousey Richard Attenborough's quiet performance and the matter-of-fact way he goes about his business. He plays the character with this strained mild mannerism that really gets under your skin. More than any movie I can remember, Attenborough creates a character who personifies dark secrets while seeming like the sort of person who could be your neighbor if you live in England or happen to have a neighbor who speaks in an English accent. It just feels a little too real, and adding to that realism is the fact that this was filmed at the actual address of these crimes.

Here's another note I wrote down but couldn't understand: the word "barrel" with a question mark after it. I figured that one out though. John Hurt's character's wife was named Beryl which, until I watched this, I didn't realize was a name. Darryl? Sure. Meryl? Yeah, I know that one. But Beryl?

I just looked up famous Beryls because I have nothing better to do with my life. There are a few, but I didn't see any A-listers on there. I think if you name your child Beryl, you're really not helping him or her out.

No comments: