Le Bonheur


1965 colorful film

Rating: 17/20

Plot: A married father of two meets another lady with whom he'd like to sleep and does exactly that.

Sunflowers and Mozart, and my God, what else does a person even need? The colors in this are the most beautiful colors I've seen in a movie recently. Some of these are colors that I'm not sure actually exist though I can't know for sure because I've never been in the French countryside. Colors that seem impossible! Ones that were obviously invented by a higher power just so Agnes Varda could use them in her movie. And she sure knows how to use them! There's a pan across a lake to the happily married couple sitting under a tree, and the background looks like Monet painted it. It's stunning.

Varda also shows off with some flirtation in a cafe. Man, the husband in this movie sure has game. Those lines about ten arms and apple orchards would make any woman swoon, I think. This ends with a montage showing a happy family again (and no, that's not a spoiler), and visually, this shows a woman at the height of her directing powers.

A smarter writer/cinephile would dive into a feminist critique of this, but I'm not that writer/cinephile and won't even bother.


No comments: