Mind Game


2004 cartoon

Rating: 15/20

Plot: A loser with a crush on a girl gets a second chance at life and love after outsmarting a fish-faced god. A whale is involved.

I'm not sure I've seen anything else like this movie, and that's worth something. Ever-shifting animation styles keep this thing interesting throughout, even when the characters Pinocchio themselves and end up in a single setting for a large chunk of movie. My favorite bit has to do with an ornery God whose visage shifts rapidly enough to give the staunchest atheist a headache.

With a narrative that reminded me a little of Gilliam at his wildest and the chaotic and unpredictable style swings, fans of adventurous animation should seek this out immediately.

This was the first movie I watched in October that wasn't from 1971 or 2018.

No comments: