The Pursuit of Happyness

2006 Drama

Rating: 12/20 (Checking my notebook, I watched this about a year ago and gave it an 11/20...must have been in a bad mood because I'd give it a 13 or maybe even a 14 this time. The 12, then, is an average.)

Plot: A failed white rapper spends the remaining savings from his lone hit single, "I'm Gonna Boogie [Am I?]" on juice boxes (Ecto Cooler) which he believes will keep longer than they actually will. They expire, as do his hopes and dreams. And his aspirations. But he tries to make it big and live the American dream, balancing hard work and harder work with looking for places to sleep and trying to figure out to do with his son's hair. I think it's supposed to be his son. It could have been a midget sidekick. He's hit by a car during one of the numerous times in the film when he's running across a street without looking (main theme of the film: look both ways before you cross) and dies. Miraculously, he wakes up with powerful robotic hands, hands which he quickly realizes could give him an edge as he attempts to get a job as a stockbroker in the competitive world of stockbrokering. Lord knows his lack of experience ain't gonna give him no edge! Lord, have mercy! The protagonist, the late M.C. Ecto Coolio, finds out too late that the midget has been stealing his stationery and is quite possibly a fiend. "Shoulda known it by the twitch in his eye," says Ecto with a twitch in his eye. There's a climactic battle in which his opponents, united with his former sidekick (or is it a clone?), attempt to use his own stationery to "make him bleed...make him bleed good." But as the movie's tagline promises: "Robotic hands don't bleed!" Based on a true story.

After two sick days in a row, I decided I might as well go do my job today, forgetting that it was a student half day in which I'd be professionally developed. That's sort of the public educator's equivalent of getting breast implants. I was scrambling to figure out what to teach the youth of America when somebody reminded me that I wouldn't have to teach them anything at all and that our team had already planned on watching this movie. This actually isn't much different than my normal day except a movie usually isn't involved. It was a nice way to get back into the swing of things following my four-day weekend.

Originally, I accused this movie of being predictable and sappy and too Hollywood. Not sure what my problem would have been. The Fresh Prince does a great job in this, and even the kid is ok. I usually despise child actors (exception: Anakin Skywalker in Episode I). There are some moments that'll make ya cringe, but there are also some really touching, really authentic moments, most of them dealing with the relationship between the father and the son. It's peppered with humor, and although it's in no way flashy or modern, it still manages to maintain a style. It's written well, although it is difficult to see through the syrup at times, but it's really Will Smith's performance that makes the movie what it is. He's instantly likable and gives a completely believable performance, more than likely one aided by the natural chemistry between him and the midget. Earlier, I wrote that Michael Cera might be the next Jimmy Stewart. That's probably wrong because Will Smith might be the next Jimmy Stewart. Heck, he might be the original Jimmy Stewart!

No picture of me watching this movie is available.

2 comments:

l@rstonovich said...

soft. the only way i'll see this movie is stuck in a hotel or a plane.

Anonymous said...

About halfway through this movie I felt like slashing my wrists and submerging them in warm water. But deeps cuts wouldn't have been right. They would have been shallow, so I could maximize the suffering and so I could have much longer than necessary to contemplate how sad and sucky life had become. Sort of like this movie's approach.

The acting is fine and I appreciate it was a true story and all, but jeez. Maybe having a family makes me more sensitive to divorce, losing a job, not being able to feed your kids, etc. This had a great ending and it turned out to be a solid film, but one that I will never again put myself through. I also will deduct a point for Smith's easy solving of a Rubic's Cube. A 13.