The Day the Earth Stood Still

1951 Science Fiction

Rating: 14/20

Plot: A mild-mannered spaceman arrives in Washington D.C. with his own theremin and Gort, a robotic thug with no sign of genitalia. He parks his spaceship illegally and is given a good ol' American greeting--he's shot. After escaping from the hospital and sneaking around incognito (under the guise of a pedophile), he's shot again. He leaves, but not before giving humanity nearly the same message Rodney King would give 40-some years later.

Bloated and strangely sterile science fiction with a message that, although universal and timeless, feels like it was delivered via Gort smacking you upside the head with it repeatedly. Everything seems so dated about this; however, in the context of the early 50's, I'm sure the effects and even the message would have been revolutionary. In that context, it might be a little more atypical--the plot isn't advanced by minor characters being violently acted upon and the "fears" aren't created with special effects or lurking slimy things. Unfortunately, there's just no tension at all, and none of the characters are worth caring about. The punchline was the moralizing of the alien Christ figure. A complete destruction of Washington D.C. would have been a lot cooler to see. I would have also enjoyed a sex scene with the robot. Maybe some Gort-on-midget action. Then, this movie would not only be famous for it's "Klaatu barada nikto!" line but also for introducing the expression "He's hung like Gort" into the vernacular. Bad B-acting and choppy characterization also hurt this one a bit, making it seem more dated than it probably should.

Here I am, considering very seriously whether I should start loving my neighbor and stop carrying out senseless acts of violence (ultimately, I decided to stay just the way I am):

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to go all "The Graduate" on you, or anything, but I think you are way off the mark on this one (although hung like Gort may have made it even better). The film is 57 years old, but I think it holds up very well. I cared for the Michael Rennie character and thought the relationship with the boy was very well done. The only thing missing would have been the boy yelling "come back alien-man" several times at the end. I really liked the scientist and Gort was beyond cool. Even Patricia Neal was tolerable in this. Unlike all other Sci-Fi at the time, this one didn't have aliens bent on Earth's destruction, but rather had a more rational and interesting theme- play nice or you'll get blown up (starting with Texas). It is a classic Sci-Fi movie and a great drama and you are just plain wrong to give it a 14. It deserves a 19 and is in my top 50.

Shane said...

Yeah, this is one I knew you'd eventually get around to and get a kick out of...I've just always thought this one's a little overrated. I know it's old and I know that in the context, it's probably pretty revolutionary sci-fi stuff, but I just don't think it works that much. I think a 14 is pretty generous...

Having said that, I'm pretty sure the upcoming remake with Keanu will be no more than half as good. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and give it a 5 without seeing it.

Anonymous said...

amyu and i watched this for the first time ever. i didnt seem to think it was as banal as you did. what troubled me more than anything were continuity errors. for ultimately a b movie from the 50s the acting/ special effects etc were pretty good. first message of this type i would assume. amy 14 me 15

Shane said...

I don't know if "banal" is the right word there. It probably is a better movie that I rated it, but that was written back when I was still taking pictures of myself watching movies. I'm always glad when these pop up again.