The Haunting

1963 horror

Rating: 14/20

Plot: Dr. Markway, a researcher in psychic phenomena, gathers together a group to spend several nights in the supposedly haunted Hill House. It's a house with a violent history, described as one character as a "house that was born bad." Skeptical Wally (Beaver's brother), a lesbian with esp, and a woman who may have had experience with poltergeists meet so that they can overact and say witty things to each other. Paranormal activity ensues which gives the four actors an excuse to overact even more. Seriously, just check out the poster to the left. It's motionless overacting. That can't be easy! Based on a Shirley "The Lottery" Jackson novel.

Let me start with this--I hated every single character in this. I hated their voices, their facial expressions, their rapport, their gestures, and (in the case of one woman) their audible thoughts. The story was dopey, and the music score and pacing dated this considerably. In fact, I would have guessed this was produced five to ten years earlier than it was. I'm not good at guessing people's ages either. All faults can be nearly forgiven, however, because of two things: the technique and the setting. The latter, a creepy mansion shown in exterior shots against eerie blueish clouds (note: the movie is not color), is almost a character itself, and camera tricks--puzzling angles, artistic effects, and swooping movement--add to the creepiness of the characters' situation. There's plenty to see in the architecture and decor of the house, and the director Robert Wise takes advantage of all the available sights both exterior and interior. The source of the haunting is never really palpable. The characters and audience never see anything concrete, although I guess they do hear noises and see a rubbery door and feel cool breezes or, in one scene that should have been great, feel something else. So I suppose there's palpability, but it's not the typical scare tactics of traditional horror flicks. Nothing jumps out at you or bleeds or oozes or growls. I don't have much horror film background, and I wonder if The Haunting is unique in not showing the ghosts or monsters or martians or murderers or what-have-you that is threatening the characters. This is psychologically intriguing but ultimately misses. Also important to note: There was a subplot involving lesbianism. No nudity though, Jen.

Here I am with my own special effect:

5 comments:

l@rstonovich said...

Okay...
I must say I do not understand yr rating system. You tore this film a new one and gave it a 14. Some of yr 18 rated films are really torn apart too. I'm confused. I have always been a bad critic because I don't like to dissect things I genuinely enjoy, and I am bad and quantifying exactly why I like or dislike shit. It's more visceral. Just trying to figure out yr m.o. and cause a discussion cos no one else is. And yr lack of decimals is disconcerting.

l@rstonovich said...

oh yeah and this portrait seems adult oriented and age-inappropriate for all ages.

Shane said...

I didn't mean to tear this one a new one. It would have almost been perfect if it didn't have actors or a plot.

I'm always torn between rating movies based on how much I enjoy watching them and how good I actually think they are. Kung fu movies, for example. If I rated them on enjoyment alone, there would be a lot closer to that magical 20. But are they actually good films? It almost makes more sense and seems like it would do more personal good to just give the movies a number based on how much I liked seeing it, but I've always felt it's more pretentious to try to judge the quality of a movie instead. When I've got a choice between "being a pretentious twit" and "making sense," I'll always go for the first one! I'm a grader, man...it's in my nature to quantify.

I don't want to explain this on the front page because I don't feel the need...but 20's should be nearly impossible. A 20 is a perfect film, and even the best movies aren't perfect. 19's aren't far behind. 16-18 are GREAT movies. 14, 15 are good movies. 10-13 are more average. Below 10 and you've entered a world of suck. I give bonus points for various things--midgets and puppets and good nudity, etc. I value creativity and visual flair. Movies that offend me (E.T., Titanic) will lose lots of points.

To clarify, there are movies that would get a 4 that I would watch again and again because I'm entertained by them. Conversely, there are movies I'd give a 16 to that I'd rather not see again. Contradictory? Probably. Pretentious? Well, yeah.

My brother is too much a coward to show his face in these parts, but you should ask him about his rating system. He gave Capote a 1/20.

Shane said...

Sorry about the picture, man...apparently my vagina got in the way. I'm really flexible.

Boat rape!

jen said...

and the lack of nudity made you so sad.