How Tasty Was My Little Frenchman

1971 Brazilian black comedy (or so it says on the box)

Rating: 15/20

Plot: A delicious, well-hung Frenchman is captured by some locals in the jungles of late 16th-Century Brazil and mistaken for a Portuguese guy. The locals consider the Portuguese enemies because they have given aid to their enemies--the Mookoopacapica. The Frenchman tries his best to escape or win over the tribe since they've promised to eat him in eight months. They give him a wife, and he makes gunpowder and helps them win a battle against their enemies. Then they eat him. Ironically.

The combination of this being very cheaply produced and filmed on beautiful location gave this a more authentic, almost documentary feel. Also adding to the authenticity was the costuming--every character but one (I believe) is completely nude for the majority of the film. I would have nominated this for best costume design if it were me, but it is rarely me. The movie stumbled from the gate, almost too different or National Geographical to want to watch, but it got going once the Frenchman in the title attempted to acclimate. I kept thinking how great this could have been with a director like Werner Herzog and a lead like Klaus Kinski (the latter, of course, not making any sense since he spoke German), but Nelson Pereira dos Santos, the director, has a good eye for natural details and knows how to use a lack of sound for effect while the lead actor was, as I mentioned in the plot synopsis, well hung. Other than the goofy title and the situational irony, I found it difficult to believe that this could be considered a comedy. It's important to note that even though you know he's going to be eaten (I hope I'm not giving away the ending...it says it right in the title of the film!), the ending still works due to an affecting set-up.

My pants, folded:

No comments: