Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle

2004 comedy

Rating: 4/20 (Jen: 1/20)

Plot: See title.

I always feel like there's a gap in my movie education whenever people I know talk about movies like this. "What? You haven't seen Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle?! It's effin' high-larious!" Well, it's not. Neil Patrick Harris is nearly funny, and I accidentally laughed once or twice (I liked when Kumar was urinating on a bush and another guy walks up and starts peeing on the same bush), but there's no way I would call this effin' high-larious. And I suspect that Dude, Where's My Car and the Harold and Kumar sequel aren't funny either. I think canned laughter would have helped me out a little bit. I did love those special effects with the cheetah though! This reminded me of all those comedies from the 80's that I didn't like--Police Academy, Weekend at Bernies, E.T. No, maybe it's actually those 90's comedies that are all the same that this reminds me of. Would this have been funny if I had any experience at all with pot? What about if I'd had recent experience with whatever White Castle serves as meat?

I could use an effin' milkshake.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha...I liked this movie. And I dont generally like stoner humor.


I thought it was clever and funny all the way through. Come on, using a cheetah as a horse doesnt hit your funny bone a little?


Ah well. Its a matter of taste, I know.

Shane said...

A 4/20 seems a little harsh, but that may have been intentional since 4:20 is important to the wacky weed subculture.

I was probably irritated by the amount of people who a) like this movie and b) told me that I would like this movie. I have no desire to see the sequel.

cory said...

Funny. I just watched this with Kelly, and was wondering if this was just the sort of wacky, sometimes surreal comedy that you might like. Guess I have my answer. I'm with Barry on this. Although around halfway through things get embarrassingly stupid and illogical, this goofy film keeps getting laughs from great lines and perfect comedic timing (as well as great chemistry from the likeable leads). If I was stoned, I might give it a 17 or a 50. Lucid me still gives it a 15.