Mon Oncle

1958 French satire

Rating: 17/20

Plot: Hulot meanders back and forth between two worlds. His is a raucous antiquated life in town, drenched in the traditions and sweat of the working class. His sister's is an ultra-chic, ultra-modern world with fish fountains, electronic gadgets, and gimmicky [dis]comforts. Much to her husband's dismay, she continually gets Hulot's help with their son who adores his uncle. She also tries to get him a job at her husband's factory or hook him up with the neighbor lady.

Thought I'd revisit this to make sure I didn't like it more than I thought I did. And I'm not sure if it's because this was the first film de Jacques Tati that I saw (I think it was anyway) or because I just didn't pay any attention, but I was way off on this one. This is right up there with his best with sight gag after sight gag and some of those trademark delicate satirical stabs. It's a funny movie, maybe even funnier, if not as poetic and playfully artistic, as Holiday. Favorite gags: the house's eyes watching Hulot's escape from the garden, the footprints at the interview, chaos at a garden party which would amuse Bunuel, Hulot's attempts to figure out the kitchen, the shot of Hulot's serpentine walk to his apartment, and the ingeniously choreographed dance number at the end. I'll always insist that the best thing about these movies is all the stuff that doesn't matter--the subplots that go nowhere, wandering dogs, fringe characters, the distractions.

2 comments:

cory said...

I know that I am in the minority on this, but I don't love these Hulot movies (despite great reviews, awards, classic status, etc.). Rereading my comments for "...Holiday", I feel almost exactly the same way about this. I enjoy the music, the lightness, and the sightgags, especially everything to do with the fish fountain (although they do milk that fish for everything it is worth... to the point that it is almost the star). I also really liked the colors, and that pink and green car was great.

I just don't understand Hulot. His innocence and politeness is in nice contrast to the tech world he is forced to navigate, but he goes so far it is almost annoying. He often behaves almost as if he is mentally challenged. He is impossible to understand, and therefore impossible to completely root for.

The mood of "Mon Oncle" is delightful and it made me smile many times, but I am kind of looking forward to seeing my final Hulot in "Playtime". I would give this a 15, and would say I liked it a little less than "...Holiday", mainly because he pissed more people off in that one.

Shane said...

Oh yeah? Well, it's better than 'The Dark Knight'!

Just kidding...

Thing is, I'd never get on anybody's case for not liking these movies. I think of them more of cult classics than regular classics (I know that critically speaking, that just isn't true), those types of movies that really work for some people (me) and only sort of work for other people (you and my brother). I've never given anybody a hard time for not liking Tati, but I absolutely love these movies and could watch them again and again. There's one that I haven't found (his first one where he plays a postman) that I'd like to see.

I did laugh at the "almost as if he is mentally challenged" line. I thought I said something similar in a Hulot review, but it may have been in an email to my brother.

Did you read my comment in the chat box about re: Tati? I'm pumped about that.