Myra Breckinridge

1970 crapfest

Rating: 7/20

Plot: Myron becomes Myra following a sex change operation. He/she travels to Hollywood to claim his/her part of the estate of Buck Loner, an old Western entertainer turned movie bigwig operating his own acting school. Then, all kinds of shocking things happen.

There are actually some positives here. Raquel Welch. Film critic Rex Reed screaming, "Where are my tits?" The plundering from other films. But the movie is so sloppy with such unfocused direction, that this just becomes boring and difficult to watch. A pony with too many tricks isn't any better than a one-trick pony, I guess. I kept wanting to give bonus points for effort on this one, but it never really succeeds on any level. It attempts shock early and often and then more often. The attempted satire of Hollywood falls flat and seems pretty vacuous. Mae West was probably very proud of her work in this one, especially considering that every scene she is in seems gratuitous. And by the way--blink and you'll miss the midget.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We've been on vacation for a week, so I have been missing your blog. As I go through the recent movies though, it looks like I haven't missed much. I think I mentioned the hilarious "The Golden Turkey Awards" before (in relation to worst midget movie). "Myra..." is also nominated in at least one catagory. I still await a "Cory recommends", but I understand if you need to work your way through some more of these classics first. Maybe you can squeeze one in after "Blood Sucking Freaks"?