A Clockwork Orange

1971 satirical dystopian black comedy

Rating: 20/20

Plot: A hilarious musical in which Alex DeLarge and his thuggish pals don codpieces and spend their nights sipping milk and engaging in various ultraviolent acts--beating up inebriated bums, throwing down against rival gangs, stealing cars, rape. After his three droogs attempt a rather half-assed and unsuccessful coup, the lads make their way to what they believe is an easy target, a health camp operator who is alone and apparently rich. Alex is caught and found guilty of the lady's murder. While in jail, he feigns interest in religion and hears of a new "method" that supposedly heals the criminal mind. He undergoes the harsh treatment and is once again released into society.

A "turning point" movie for me when I saw this in high school. Watching A Clockwork Orange made me realize that film not only existed to entertain the (m)asses, but that it could also be artistic. For better or worse, this one turned me to a fan of the sort of adventurous, dangerous, audacious, and chaotic cinema that I love today. This is a wildy creative adventure, and the world Kubrick created could probably not have been created by anybody else. There's really not another movie that matches Kubrick's artistic vision. Is there? And Malcolm McDowell deserved at least a best actor nomination. I can't imagine anybody else playing Alex, and there's a demanding physicality to the role (in fact, he was injured twice and nearly drowned during one scene) that was apparently underappreciated. The actors with smaller roles, from the bum in the opening scene to the the parole officer to the writer, are also terrifically hammy. A Clockwork Orange is also great because of the way the visuals and music compliment each other so perfectly. I guess Wendy Carlos (actually he/she was Walter Carlos when the music was composed) and his mooginess was also overlooked by the Academy. There's a unique perspective/point of view in this one, too, one that forces the viewer to side with a sadistic murderer/rapist. You've got to love a movie that does that! But a lot of Kubrick's trickery let's you see the story alternately as disturbing, humorous, terrifying, and ludicrous. It's also got phallic symbols galore! If you asked me seventeen years ago about my favorite movie, I would have picked this one for sure. That might not be true now, but it'll always be up there near the top. So many memorable moments!

My favorite scene changes every time I see this movie; this time, it was when Alex notices the phallic sculpture, latter his weapon, in a victim's house. His expression, around a comical rubber nose (another phallic symbol), is great! What's your favorite scene?

5 comments:

cory said...

An incredibly dark satire that is in my top 100. Kubrick was one sick puppy to make this amazing movie and both he and McDowell pull off the impossible by making an audience sort of pull for this horrible criminal. A 20.

Shane said...

Another pessmistic one though...I remember being surprised to see this one on your list. Although you did have a lot of Kubrick in the top 150. Seems like something obvious was missing...Strangelove? 2001? Eyes Wide Shut???

Any movie that you, me, and my brother can agree on must be a great one. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't give this a 20 though.

cory said...

Kubrick:
Spartacus- 20
Full Metal Jacket- 20(incredible first half)
The Shining- 20
A Clockwork Orange- 20
Paths of Glory- 19
all in my top 100

2001- 18
Stranglove- 17

Kubrick, Wilder, Hitchcock and Spielberg are easily my four favorite directors (not necessarily in that order).

The Killers- 16
Barry Lyndon- 15
Lolita- 15
Eyes Wide Shut- 12 (the old pervs worst movie)

Shane said...

David Lynch doesn't make your director list?

As you've probably guessed, I have a Spielberg bias. There's also a bit of a love/hate thing. 'E.T.,' as I've mentioned, is one of my least favorite movies of all time.

I couldn't make it through 'Lyndon' which was too dull for my high school mind to deal with. And wait a second...there's 'The Killing' and 'Killer's Kiss,' the latter which I have here and will watch this week. Which one did you see?

cory said...

It was "The Killing". It is a neat little film, but certainly not in the same league with his later work. I got it mixed up with that Lancaster flick. Lynch would not make my top 100 directors. Altman might, though. I don't like "E.T" that much either, but that's partly due to it's "classic" status. Spielberg has made a dozen movies I love and a half-dozen that really annoy me. Sometimes he is just full of it.