The Girl on the Bridge

1999 French love story

Rating: 13/20

Plot: Adele, a French hottie, has had a tough life. Just as she decides to end it all by depositing herself in the Seine, a professional knife thrower named Gabor wanders onto the bridge. He's probably looking for a hook-up. He persuades Adele to come along with him so that he can throw knives in her direction while bemused spectators gasp, and they find that together they can find luck. But Adele is a whore and runs off to let some other guys pierce her with their knives. Oh, snap!

Stylish but goofily pretentious. Things looked good, but this was definitely a case of seen-it-all-before as it's reminiscent of every other French movie ever made. I did like the black and white, and there were a couple neat perspective shots, one from a fly's and one from a spinning target's). Vanessa Paradis sure is easy on the eyes. I wish I could think of something else to say about this movie. Maybe that's why I can't rate it higher.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

top 100 list. how did you get it bastard? it's been on my waiting list for a year now.

Shane said...

Top 100 list? No way.
How did I get it? I woke up and found it sticking out the front of my pajama bottoms. I had no idea how it got there and won't be trying to find out.

Anonymous said...

you need to give this another chance. beautiful movie!

Shane said...

I will. I don't remember this movie at all.

Geez Louise! I just saw that I wrote this over 7 years ago! How long have I been doing this blog? I'm kind of embarrassed.