Election

1999 comedy

Rating: 11/20

Plot: High schooler Tracy Flick is running for student body president. Things look good since there's nobody running against her. Popular history teacher Mr. McAllister, student council sponsor, dislikes her, however, partially because she's that annoying overachieving type and partially because she was involved in a scandal that got his best friend and colleague fired. So, he encourages Paul, school sports hero, to run against her. Things don't go according to plan.

There's a terrific first shot--a close-up of a sprinkler oversaturating a football field. Then, we meet the teacher, and as a teacher, I recognized some of his morning, most notably the refrigerator that he decides needs cleaned out. A janitor gives him the evil eye which made me smile. Not a bad start, I thought! From there, unfortunately, it's all downhill. Immediately, I jotted down that I hated the duo-narrators, but then it turned into three narrators. Then, it turned into four narrators! Later on, I decided to start narrating myself.

"I looked at the clock again, wondering to myself why I couldn't care less about the outcome of this election."

"I wondered to myself why Mr. McAllister had a problem with Paul's sister deciding to run for president since it looked like she might win which would get him precisely what he wanted."

"I thought about earlier scenes, trying to find a reason why Tracy would know that Mr. M and his wife were having trouble conceiving while nobody in the school seemed to know that she had had sex with a teacher."

All four narrators are that naive, unreliable type, frequently telling the audience things that differed from what was seen on the screen, and I couldn't figure out which of the characters I was supposed to connect with and root for. The football player is the most likable of the bunch, but he's way too stupid to actually like, almost like he's working hard to search for his inner-Keanu. And the guy who plays him, Chris Klein, is terrible, also like he's working hard to search for his inner-Keanu. Reese Witherspoon isn't horrible, but her character is completely distasteful. I wanted to punch her through my television screen. She also pronounces illegible wrong. The football player's sister? She added very little to the story, almost to the point where she didn't need to be in the movie at all. And Matthew Broderick's Mr. M didn't make sense at all to me, a character full of illogical contradictions. This is the type of movie that addresses some controversial issues like inappropriate teacher/student relations, adolescent lesbianism, infidelity, and teen depression, each with an annoying lack of depth. That wouldn't be a problem, but none of it is particularly funny. Along the way, things get gimmicky. There's a fantasy sequence near the middle that is just jarring, there's a sort of screeching theme music used for Tracy's character that is just grating, there's some archival footage of New York City that is just anachronistic, there are some weird camera angles (during a sex scene, a crying scene, and a ludicrous praying scene) that were just amateurish, and there's a bookend gimmick that just makes the ending (part of it anyway) predictable. At least there was a Donovan song in there somewhere. Out of all the characters, the one I came the closest to liking was the principal whose chastising of some rowdy students during the presidential candidates' speeches was the funniest part of the movie. However, not even that could draw a chortle from me.

Main thing I learned from this movie: young lesbians enjoy swing sets.

Sorry, Cory.

6 comments:

Barry said...

I actually mostly agree with you Shane. I did not really like this movie when i saw it the first time, and even now, when I come across it on the old television, I seldom watch for more than a couple minutes before getting tired of it. Its one of those movies, where the only likable character is also as dumb as a post (The football player) and really has no personality. Hes likable because hes inoffensive, not because hes smart or funny or interesting. Plus he is being compared to Tracey, and the teacher, Jim, who are really just scummy people.


Its funny in parts, but the overall bitterness of the film completely ruins being able to watch it again. I liked the performances enough to give it a 13.....but that may be some Ferris Bueller good will talking.

l@rstonovich said...

I loved Little Children by the same author and possibly same director...

If youse guys haven't seen it it will be a 5.

I found this movie unmemorable, except that I worked with a guy who had major hots for Reece Witherspoon in this.

Based on cloudy recollections I'll go with Barry's 13.

cory said...

I think "Little Children" is a great film, Larry. It's a powerful drama with great performances, especially Haley's amazing role.

I'm not really surprised that you didn't like this, Shane, so it's OK. DO NOT READ ANYTHING INTO THE FOLLOWING: it is funny that we both liked and gave black comedies a 17 that the other gave an 11. The difference is I made this one a "five". Sorry you didn't like it.

I like that "Election" is so subversive and dark. Some humor pushes the taste envelope, but I find most of it very funny (if a little mean). I agree the supporting characters are weak (can't stand the lesbian), but that Broderick and Witherspoon are fearless in very edgy roles.

What I like most about the film is how it is not afraid to go dark all the way and go against expectations. It has the cynical observer have his life ruined while the driven overachiever that is usually mocked in these types of films succeeds. I think both actors are terrific and I love the Washington DC ending. I think "Election" is the definition of a black comedy and is hilarious.

I do think this will be the last film I recommend that has a teacher role. They don't seem to go over too well.

The replacement for this is "Once" and thanks for checking out so many films I have recommended. Even when you don't like them, I still enjoy hearing your thoughts (loved the four narrators bit). A 17, for me.

Shane said...

No apologies necessary! I'd never even heard of this movie, and I like to watch movies about teachers--good and bad. I just finished 'Blackboard Jungle' which may be an example of a movie that is more important than it is good.

I can't remember another "teacher" movie you've recommended, but it's early (well, it's noon...is that considered early?)...oh, 'These Three' had teachers. I wouldn't call that a teacher movie though.

cory said...

Yeah, I was evoking the ghost of "These Three". I was very disappointed in the dated "The Blackboard Jungle". Poiter and the Haley song were good, but that's about it.

You expressed interest in "The Ruling Class". I think it's on TCM, tonight.

Shane said...

Yeah, I'd set 'Ruling Class' to record and am excited about it. Thanks for the heads-up though. I also taped 'Kitten with a Whip' last night from TCM, you know, because it's a classic.