Take the Money and Run

1969 comedy

Rating: 15/20

Plot: Virgil Starkwell is a career criminal. Unfortunately for him, he's terrible at it. The inept bungling burglar finds love but can't find a way out of his life of crime which humorously makes things difficult for him. He also looks a lot like Woody Allen.

There are some very funny moments in this faux-documentary--"gub," a scene with a ventriloquist dummy, a bad spit shine, a cellist in a marching band, glass theft. I'm bugged that Woody can't keep documentary consistency and loses cohesion because of it. There are scenes with multiple cameras, and more than likely, the events being captured wouldn't even have one camera. The typically absurdist slant is mostly fun, and even though this isn't exactly a Woody Allen classic, it's still worth the time.

2 comments:

cory said...

I am surprised I am giving an Allen film a higher grade than you. Have you seen "Bananas"? I like that early Allen better, but this has many hilarious moments that make it worthwhile. The style didn't bother me since it is hard to take any of it too seriously. A 15.

Shane said...

Yeah, that can't happen. I have adjusted my rating so that I like this movie just as much as you.

I've seen 'Bananas'...while back. I'll likely watch it if it pops up on cable.