Holiday

1938 romantic comedy

Rating: 15/20 (Jen: 14/20)

Plot: Up-and-coming business guy Johnny Case is all set to start bringing in the serious dough. And he's marrying a rich girl. Everything's looking grand! But rather than being excited about the prospects of being a big-toothed dog in a dog-eat-dog world and boinking the little rich girl, he's got other things on his mind, namely taking an extended vacation while he's still young enough to enjoy it and boinking the little rich girl's oddball sister.

The second best movie called Holiday that I've seen all year. It's charming if not entirely believable or engaging. It's definitely the type of movie you watch and think, "Man, this would be a lot better if it had a chimpanzee on a unicycle!" Really, once you've got a chimpanzee on a unicycle on the mind, anything you see on the screen is going to be disappointing. I liked Johnny's friends the Potters more than any of the major characters. I never could figure out why Johnny Case kept doing acrobatics, standing on his hands or backflipping. It did make Holiday a little more extreme, I guess.

3 comments:

jen said...

i stayed awake for this one...where's my rating? i give it a 14.

cory said...

Boring background: I saw this about 20 years ago and really liked it. I loved the story and Grant and Hepburn were great together. I thought it was better than the much more famous "Bringing Up Baby" (but still liked "The Philadelphia Story" more).
Then I saw it about three years ago, still liking the slightly spaz Grant, but annoyed by Hepburn's acting. In the 30's she had a very stagey, overdone style, and it really hurts this film. I think it is in my 500, but I may have to replace it (maybe with "Dear Zachary"). A 16, but not one I would easily recommend.

Shane said...

I agree. I like Grant but didn't care for Hepburn in this. This isn't really my type of movie, but I liked it fine.

Sorry Jenny! You were sleeping when I wrote this.