Where the Wild Things Are

2009 piece of garbage

Rating: 10/20 (Jen: 5/20; Emma: 5/20; Abbey: 1/20)
[Original "6" rating traded for a "10" with my brother.]

Plot: Max is youngster suffering from schizophrenia and endangering the lives of those around him. Where the Wild Things Are is a glimpse at his battered mind, a trip to his world inhabited by CGI-furballs. If there is ever a Where the Wild Things Are II, proving beyond a reasonable doubt that there is either no God at all or that He has abandoned us, it would most likely be about Max's experiences in an asylum.

This might be one of the most joyless film experiences I've ever had. There wasn't a single moment in this movie where I was glad I was watching it. In fact, I wouldn't have finished this if I had been watching it alone. And I had high hopes for this one, curious to see how Spike Jonze would be able to stretch a fairly thin picture book into a full-length movie. Turns out, he doesn't. This has virtually no plot, existing only as jumbled symbolism or half-assed allegory. The people part of the movie is depressing. The wild things part of the movie, a part I eagerly awaited as I figured it would be filled with fantastical imagery and whimsy, was somehow even more depressing. And the imagery? It just looks stupid. The monsters don't always move fluently, especially when they leap, and there's never enough background to make this look like a finished movie. All attempts to attach any of Max's fantasy to his real-world problems--childhood fears of things like war, the eventual demise of the sun, global warming, etc.; alienation; growing up fatherless--come across as offensive. There is absolutely no reason for children to see this movie, absolutely no reason for adults to see this movie, and absolutely no reason why this movie should have been gotten the greenlight in the first place. See that monster behind the tree in the poster? I can only imagine that he's trying to hide from embarrassment at his involvement in this movie. I sincerely hope this is the least enjoyable experience I have with a movie this year.

My brother tried to warn me about this one. I didn't dream it would be this abysmal.

11 comments:

l@rstonovich said...

for some reason you calling it a "piece of garbage" sounds even worse that "piece of crap or shit."

I thought about wanting to see this at the very first stage I heard about it. Spike Jonze. Blame Dave Eggers... I absolutely do not recommend his other foray into screenwriting, "Away We Go"(except for the Maggie Gyllenthal segment.)

Anonymous said...

those are puppets you cretin. i think you need to raise your score 4 points. you missed the puppet bonus.

Shane said...

Those aren't puppets. They're costumes.

cory said...

I did not read the original short story, so I had no expectations coming in. It is also definitely not a movie for children under 10. The fact that it is marketed without warning to children is VERY offensive. Sadly, thinking they could make the bucks from the kids is probably the only reason it got made by a studio. I was very confused by the wildly different reactions this film was getting, and I think I now understand why. Your 6 is totally defensible as a personal reaction, but objectively this is much better than that grade.

Max is a confused brat with anger issues. He is reacting to a formerly close relationship with his sister damaged by what he sees as betrayal, and potentially having the same thing happen with his mom. He goes too far, way too far, but we kind of get where he comes from. I found what happens when he tries to escape, and then when he tries to make sense of his feelings, very interesting. I liked the fact that the imaginary characters were parts of his psyche (the character no one listens to, the female figure that may leave, the main character that just wants everyone tightly together and wants nothing to change by having outsiders around). Max also has a character arc where he changes for the better and I believe this fantasy helps him work out his issues. I came to like him.

It is like a puzzle that he is working out and the audience must decipher. There is a lot to this film and I could see myself watching it again since I don't have all the answers. As for the look and style, I agree some of the jumping movements look slightly fake and the Jonze is sometimes a little heavy handed, but these are not major issues. I really liked the creatures/ costumes. They were very emotive, expressive, and original. Ultimitely, since this all takes place in Max's head, I gave some leeway.

Again, I can see watching this with your family and expecting something else as being reasons not to like this, or even hate it, but as a movie aimed at a narrower audience it is very interesting and successful. It is unique and objectively worth a much higher grade than a 6. A 15 from me.

Shane said...

After my family gave their ratings, Jen asked what I was rating it. I said, "Anywhere from a 2 to a 7."

I really hated this movie, and it's not just because my children were tricked into watching it. And it has nothing to do with the original Sendak picture book, one that I dug as a kid.

The symbolism of the monsters (representing the different parts of Max's psyche) adds up to absolutely nothing, and that's a big part of the problem. I think the puzzle that Jonze gives us is ultimately UNdecipherable, making the whole thing not only plotless but pointless. Jonze is trying to tell the world that childhood can sometimes be scary and confusing? Not exactly a unique perspective there. And who's his audience? Adults?

As you probably know from reading the blog, I don't need a plot or a point in order to like a movie, but there was nothing else in this even close to aesthetically pleasing. I didn't laugh, didn't cry, didn't really feel anything.

This is an unorganized mess of an ugly movie (I'd rather not see the color brown for a while) without an audience. To me, a 6/20 seems fair enough.

Anonymous said...

they are puppets. the jim henson team created them. of course there is a lot of C.G. there when they jump and stuff. the movie was terrible. i am second guessing my 10. i was insulted that they ripped of andy goldsworthy. i scoured the credits looking for his name. the "fort" they built was full on goldsworthy rip-off. there was no plot and the moral lesson we walk away with is max needs some strong medication and his little ass kicked.

cory said...

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I do think you are casually dismissing an interesting, thought provoking concept, but OK. Still a 15 for me and a harsh 6 for you.

I have no idea who Andy Goldsworthy is, so I didn't deduct any points for that.

cory said...

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I do think you are casually dismissing an interesting, thought provoking concept, but OK. Still a 15 for me and a harsh 6 for you.

I have no idea who Andy Goldsworthy is, so I didn't deduct any points for that.

Shane said...

Andy Goldsworthy:

http://shane-movies.blogspot.com/2008/05/rivers-and-tides.html

'Rivers and Tides' is good stuff, and I don't think Goldsworthy is the type of artist (like the Bunny guy) who will creep you out at all. I'd recommend.

Hey, Mark...if you're second-guessing your rating of 10, I'd be willing to trade with you. You can give it a 6 and I'll bump it up to a 10. Henson-manufactured monsters would technically make them Muppets, and not all Muppets are puppets. Puppets need strings or a hand stuck up them, right? You wouldn't call the characters at Disneyworld puppets, would you? There are rules about puppets!

Anonymous said...

nope i'll stick with calling them puppets. there are different kind of puppets. all the lingo i have forgotten but puppets like the cookie monster is actually 2 arms and somebody's head up inside him(the persons head would be at cookie monsters belly). i am not sure about gordon. i would think he is an elaborate marrionette. but yes i was kind of second guessing my 10 :) we can switch scores if you like. yeah i hated the movie. it had no direction. the dialogue was pointless. the kid should have been smacked when he got home. even the music started grated on my nerves. any thought given to the film is somewhat pointless. yeah the 1 puppet is kinda like his sister and the one puppet is like him. so what? if it had been visually stunning i could have forgiven it for a lot, but it was just 400 shades of brown.

Shane said...

Ok, the rating has been adjusted. Thanks for the trade, Anonymous!

Fine, we'll stick with calling them puppets. I thought there was a rule that you had to stick your hand in it.

(That's what she said.)