Kingpin

1996 bowling comedy

Rating: 14/20

Plot: A former prospective bowling superstar whose career was cut short--or more accurately, mangled short--after a hustle-gone-wrong gets a chance at redemption after he meets an Amish bowling phenom.

Penalties incurred for both an unfortunate cameo by the ever-annoying Chris Berman and Blues Traveler. Not even a Jonathan Richman appearance and the great Chris Eliott ("Look at George and Wheezy go!") can make one forget Berman and that damn harmonica-happy fat man. This might be the second best bowling comedy with a few good individual lines (liked "Nasty cheese-grating accident" with that nodding bearded woman and "You're on a gravy train with biscuit wheels" would be something I'd add to my own repertoire if I had a better memory) and some fun characters but with a deluge of potty humor and kick-in-the-groin jokes that don't really work, too much meandering, and too many montages. That ridiculous rubber hand is a nice prop which is utilized just the right amount for a comedy like this. And by that, I mean it's used way too much. Woody Harrelson's funny enough, more as the straight man, and although the character is arguably in poor taste--the right kind of taste for a movie like this--Quaid's also good. Bill Murray's appearances which bookend the off-kilter buddy movie outshine the stars though. He's such a nonchalantly terrible character and plays sleazy perfectly here. Early scenes in a restaurant where Murray's character just says hi to somebody or throws a rude request at the waitress let you know all you need to know about Ernie right away. And his hair and his bowling style are hilarious. Lin Shaye's good as the disgusting landlady, but it's almost too good because the thought of the character makes me sick to my stomach. This is an uneven comedy with a too-predictable storyline, but there are enough laughs to make it worth the time. I'm giving a bonus point for the "Attaboy, Luther!" which was a clever little movie allusion and reminded me of Don Knotts.

4 comments:

cory said...

I couldn't blame anyone for not liking "Kingpin". It's crude, incredibly offensive, and some of it's humor is lame. It's also fearless, fun, and freakin' hilarious. Just thinking about Murray being an ass (one of his best roles), his more and more out of control hair, the bowling contest to the tune of "Showdown" (see, I just put it on my IPOD), Harrelson accidently scratching himself with the hook, the scene with the evil priest, everything with the veined landlady, the flashback to Woody's glorious long-haired youth...all of it still makes me laugh.

I remember seeing this in the theatre with Barry, his then girlfriend, and another friend of ours. Barry's girlfriend may not have laughed once (not even when Woody is punching breasty's breasts), but the rest of us were in hysterics.

"Kingpin" embraces it's goofy plot and characters with joyful glee. It's not for most, but it is one of my facvorite comedies. A 19.

cory said...

Meant Harrelson impaling his clock...I have no idea where scratching himself came from.

Shane said...

Did Barry dump her during the credits or did he wait until a little later?

You know what? I've never seen 'There's Something about Mary'...that has nothing to do with anything you typed there, but I just thought of it.

Barry said...

Harrelson also scratches himself with the hook when Quaid puts shaving cream on it and tickles his nose. And this is my favorite Farrely Brothers movie...it gets a 19 from me, because it is just without any remorse going for any laugh. "I think you jarred something loose there, Roy." Damn that is funny stuff. Some of the jokes fall flat, but there are so many that hit a bullseye that you dont have to wait very long to be laughing agin.