Mr. Bean's Holiday

2007 comedy

Rating: 12/20

Plot: An idiot wins a vacation to Cannes and separates a child from his father on the way.

I don't know. If I'm not the audience for Mr. Bean, I'm not sure who is exactly. As a fan of silent comedy and Tati, I like this kind of physical comedy. The visual humor is really good in this. It's not exactly subtle or artistic, but it's always fun and lighthearted. Rowan Atkinson is such a funny-looking person that he stands out no matter where he is on the screen, for better or worse. He's gifted, mostly with the talent for looking very strange, and this movie works best when he doesn't have much to do or is engaged in pedestrian activities that have nothing to do with the overall plot I so competently described above. The problem is that this movie has Mr. Bean doing way too much. I just want to see the guy eat seafood, pose for a picture, dance a little bit (the street performer scene featuring loads of dancing was one of the best), and chase around the occasional chicken. I don't care about all this father-son nonsense. So this is a really hit 'n' miss affair, and since the hits aren't anything I'd describe as hysterical or especially memorable, the whole thing just isn't worth it. Rowan Atkinson is really good at what he does, and the character should be a lot of fun. Unfortunately, he doesn't get to be in a very good movie. One characteristic of Mr. Bean's I don't like at all: all the grunting noises that he makes.

No comments: