Small Apartments


2012 black crime comedy

Rating: 15/20

Plot: In the titular complex, an awkward bald man who has dreams of visiting Switzerland, has a problem. His landlord is dead on the floor of his apartment, and he has to do something about it. That's not the kind of thing that is easy for an awkward person. A cuckolded fire investigator gets involved.

"Olivetti died in a fire."
"Is he OK?"
"No, he's dead."

Writer Chris Millis and director Jonas Akerlund thought that was so funny that they included it twice in this movie. I think this movie got poor reviews and a poor reception from people who have actually seen it because it's a very child-like black comedy, quirky for the sake of being quirky. I mean, the talking dog is probably going a little too far. This has a neat visual style although the rumbling bang that accompanies transitions seems like the sort of cliche that was already tired in the late-90's during its heyday. Things start intriguingly enough with a hairless and comically flabby Matt Lucas wearing ill-fitting underpants and tube socks and playing an Alp horn, and things end completely ridiculous with three bimbos and a goat although I'd argue that more movies could end with bimbos and goats. The best thing is that this movie is actually funny. But it's that absurd brand of funny that a lot of people don't seem to like very much. I loved the line "Never go into an orgy ass up," advice that I will definitely take seriously if I ever find myself in a situation where I'm about to be involved in an orgy. And David Koechner's (Todd Packer from The Office) detective's explanation at the crime scene is about the funniest thing I've heard in a long, long time. I can't share any of that because it would spoil too much of the fun. In addition to Matt Lucas and Koechner, this has an interesting cast. Dolph Lundgren plays the exact opposite character you'd expect him to play, wearing a fantastic suit and full of wink. Johnny Knoxville's in there with a mullet, and Rebel Wilson--downright ubiquitous, that one!--is also around. James Caan shows us that he's getting old, and Peter Stormare proves that he can be pretty awesome even when his character isn't alive. Of course, he's even more awesome in a flashback scene where he is alive, and he gets a great chortling death scene that only an actor of his caliber can deliver. I do, you should know, give Peter Stormare bonus points. I might have to start penalizing movies for DJ Qualls though because the guy's presence makes me uncomfortable.

1 comment:

Shane said...

I forgot to mention that Billy Crystal is in this movie.