The Room (again)


2003 bad movie classic

Rating: 1/20 (Jen: 1/20)

Plot: I have already written about this movie here and don't feel like doing another plot synopsis.

Oh hai, blog readers.

Yes, I have watched this three times in the past three or four years although with only a few exceptions, I haven't been watching movies even twice the last several years. I guess you could say that I'm obsessed with The Room. I did, after all, read co-star Greg Sestero's book The Disaster Artist which is all about his friendship with Tommy Wiseau, a friendship I'm really jealous of, and (full disclosure) I only watched Rebel without a Cause because Wiseau had an obsession with James Dean. And watching Wiseau over-emote that sac-tingling "You're tearing me apart, Lisa!" right after hearing James Dean over-emote his own "You're tearing me apart!" with nearly identical gesticulations and camera angles is nothing short of euphoric. And yes, I may every once in a while pop on Youtube only to hear Tommy Wiseau enter the rooftop, talk about how he didn't hit Lisa, and throw a water bottle before greeting his buddy with that legendary "Oh hai, Mark." Or to hear him say "motherfucker" like only Tommy Wiseau can say "motherfucker." Or try to get my mind around what's going on in the conversation he has with the woman at the flower shop. Or watch the characters play football in tuxedos. Or watch what has to be the worst stunt choreography ever when Mark knocks another guy down with a rough hand-off. Or listen to Lisa's mother talk about her breast cancer. Or watch Tommy have his way with Lisa's red dress in what is one of the most baffling things I have ever seen in a movie. Or try to figure out Denny. Sestero's book--which is excellent, by the way, if you're a fan of this glorious mess of a movie--gave me new insight into how this all happened and a greater appreciation of the movie's magic. And if you asked me right now, I'd have to say that this is one of my top-three favorite bad movies of all time and in the conversation for one of my favorite movies of all time. I could almost watch it again right now.

But I actually watched this again because Jen needed to see it. I asked her for her thoughts just now, and she made a face like I had thrown half of a decomposing animal at her. When pressed, she was more descriptive: "It was awful. I hated it."

But don't listen to her. The Room will change your life. You should watch it immediately and not just because of Tommy Wiseau's naked buttocks.

I've lost sleep, by the way, imagining a scene with a flying car in this movie.

Thanks to Josh for loaning this to me so that we could watch it.

No comments: