The Invisible War

2012 documentary

Rating: 16/20

Plot: Apparently, American soldiers are raping fellow soldiers, and nothing is being done about it. God bless America.

Cory recommended this, and although I don't usually like my documentaries to be topical because I really just prefer to be a dumb American, this was well done. I mean, I did get off my lazy butt (not literally) and actually do something (no, not really) because I was inspired by what I saw. I went to a website and signed a petition electronically. No, I'm not going to write any letters to any congress people because I'd have to find out their names and probably proofread. Besides, I have this blog to think about. This thing doesn't write itself, ya know. I'm sure I was supposed to be shocked by what I saw here. Over 20% of women in the military say they've been violated. 15% of incoming recruits said they'd raped somebody or attempted to rape somebody, twice the rate of civilians. 40% of homeless female veterans say they were raped. The ridiculous notion that rape is an "occupational hazard of military service" which I'm sure is the kind of stupid thing that stupid people with way too much power in our country say that could make Uncle Sam eat is fucking red, white, & blue top hat just so he'd have something to puke up. (Another stupid thing that stupid people with way too much power say: "That's what you get for walking down a hallway full of drunk aviators." Really?) Anyway, I know I'm supposed to be shocked, and I was about as angry as I get when watching something like this, but I'm not sure anything about the American military can shock me, and I don't even care how unpatriotic that makes me sound. It's not like anybody reads this anyway. Or maybe it's not the military. Maybe it's just people, especially people in charge. And I don't care how misanthropic that makes me sound. This documentary begins with a bunch of commercials used to draw women into the military and interview snippets with gals who had all this enthusiasm as they were getting ready to serve their country. And then, bam, a quick and alarming succession of stories about being raped, specifics about a handful of the women before we move onto the military's reaction to the whole thing--interrogations of the victims, cases being given to men because women might be too sympathetic, the convenient misplacing of evidence. It's enough to piss off anybody who cares. The saddest part is the more psychological effects--and in at least one case, a physical one--for these women. Some of the stuff with the women seemed oddly staged though, and I wish some of that would have been replaced with more of the foray into the psychology of masculinity in the military. Of course, maybe they were right in focusing on the victims. Regardless, well done, makers of The Invisible War, because you got me to type in a handful of letters and put my name on a petition.

Favorite quotes from this: One woman talks about how she carries a knife and a cross everywhere with her because "You always have protection in Jesus, but sometimes you need a little bit more." There's also a soldier who claimed, "That's how they do things in Indiana," a reference to having a buddy kill a rape victim if she reported the crime to anybody. I guess I can add that to the list of things Hoosiers can be proud of.

1 comment:

cory said...

This was a painful and horrifying movie to watch, but if I am ever close to anyone, man or woman, who is considering joining the military, I would try to get them to see this film. It has been a while since I watched this, so my initial shock and anger has been replaced by disgust. As the father of two girls, watching this made me feel that much more protective of them, since creeps in any walk of life are a threat, especially if they have power. Thank you, and I'm glad you watched this eye-opening doc. The more people aware of how low our fellow man can sink, the better. Also a 16.