The Giver


2014 dystopian movie

Rating: 11/20 (Abbey: 13/20)

Plot: I'm yawning just thinking about it.

It just sort of hits all the notes that you'd expect it to and does nothing more. Jeff Bridges mumbles his way through another questionable choice in roles. This is on solid ground thematically and at least tries to do some interesting things to compliment those themes with color trickery, but the story is a little sleepy, the scenes become redundant after a while, and neither the good guys or bad guys really do it for me. For a movie that has a lot to do with emotions and the importance of those emotions, this ironically failed to deliver any emotional impact at all.

I'm going to wonder if I saw this movie in a few years. "The Giver? Did I watch that one or not?"

Now that I think about it, I can't remember if I read the book. I don't have a book blog though and can't check.

No comments: