3 Women


1977 Altman film

Rating: 17/20

Plot: Shelley Duvall gets a new roommate.

Two perfect lead performances from Shelley Duvall and Sissy Spacek, two of the titular three women, lots of yellows and pinks, loads of shots with mirrors, a fantastically ominous avant-garde score from Gerald Busby, recurring references to melts, a Sissy Spacek beer guzzle, dresses getting caught in car doors, apathetic twins, a haunting dream sequence, lots and lots of humor. Before making a final 1977 movie list, I wanted to watch this again, and I'm glad I did. I love it even more than I thought I did! I don't quite understand it, but I love it. It's enigmatic, a riddle that starts ominously enough with shots of old people in a pool and just keeps getting stranger and stranger and more and more perplexing. And more and more hilarious! This is a really funny movie, and it somehow gets even more comedic once Spacek's parents show up, odd since tragedy has struck at that point.

This movie is based on an Altman dream. I wish I had Altman dreams.

Great use of a fake baby in this one.

No comments: