Mouchette


1967 drama

Rating: 18/20

Plot: I don't feel like doing a plot synopsis for this one.

Whoops! I thought this was part of that Danny Trejo Machete franchise! WTF! LOL!

Bresson's gift is how he can create something so simple and so enigmatic at once. Symbolically chunky, Mouchette is one of those you feel more than you actually understand. It's a movie that affects more than entertains you. And it's a movie that convinces you that every closing door and every muddy squelch contains more meaning than you've had in your own life in the past several years. This is a spiritual experience.

Bresson himself said that the titular teen is used to prove that "misery and cruelty" are in the world, as if that's something that anybody needs to see further evidence of. He says she is "found everywhere" and mentioned concentration camps and assassinations as examples. I'm not sure whether or not concentration camps had bumper cars, but I suppose if the viewer isn't aware whether or not Mouchette is aware of the joys of bumper cars, this whole thing just doesn't work.

We're all boozing it up and riding bumper cars while Mouchette is rolling down a hill and soiling her new dress, aren't we? Soiler alert.

I'm aware of my typographical error, but I "soiler alert" cracked me up. Accidental genius!

No comments: