The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part


2019 sequel

Rating: 12/20 (Jen: 16/20; Buster: 19/20)

Plot: Emmet has to enlist the help of Rex Dangervest to save his friends from aliens who kidnapped them so that a shape-shifting menace can marry Batman.

The cheeky closing credits with the song from Beck and The Lonely Island was better than the actual movie.

I'd probably have to watch the first one of these again to figure out if I even liked it. This seems like more of the same, but the theme at the heart of it doesn't quite sneak up on you the way the other did. Once I knew what this was all about--and that was early--you kind of see how much work they have to put into the whole thing to get there. Along with a twist that didn't really seem like a twist because of [omitted] and probably [omitted], it just didn't work for me. The first movie surprised me and slipped in cameos and allusions that were pretty clever. With this second part, a lot of stuff feels shoehorned in.

That includes a character named Larry Poppins although I think I might have loved him.

No comments: