Providence


1977 meta-film

Rating: 15/20

Plot: An aged writer tries to finish a novel that seems based on his family members.

"You can't just bring an erection into my marriage and then disown it--your own flesh and blood."

If this meta-film doesn't work, it's because of the oppressive narrated commentary provided by John Gielgud's character. Miklos Rozsa's score is good, and the Kane allusions are at least cute, but there was something a little stiff about this. It's possible that it feels more stiff because Alain Resnais considered it a comedy, and I knew that going in. The dialogue does have some bite.

I feel like I could watch this twelve more times and still not be able to make all the connections that I'm supposed to with these characters. Therefore, I'll likely never watch it again.

No comments: