Rocketman


2019 musical biopic

Rating: 13/20

Plot: The life and death and resurrection of Elton John, a guy who can play the piano with his feet. 

Although it inspires rolling eyes with the exact kind of biopic cliches that you expect to see going in, this comes closer to succeeding where Bohemian Rhapsody didn't because its musical numbers have a lot more originality. You might question whether the song choices really fit with the specific episodes in Elton John's life they are supposed to go along with, but there's a fervor and showiness with the musical numbers that just seems to fit with this particular singer/songwriter/performer. There are some bits that are downright magical, and I imagine they might be even more magical for somebody who's more of an Elton John fan than I am. 

Side note: It's not that I don't like Elton John. The hits are tolerable, and I like a few of his non-hits, too. It's just that I worked in a Toys "R" Us when The Lion King came out and had to hear "Circle of Life" and "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" four times an hour for a while, enough times that would cause anybody to hate Elton John a little bit. 

The musical bits seem lifted right out of a 70's rock opera, filled with bombast and flamboyance. A lot of them are fake extended shots where Elton John and whatever other characters are involved are moving through various settings and time periods. It's flashy and fun and helps the story move along in a breezy way. One number takes Elton John from his mansion to the bottom of a pool to a hospital to outer space to a concert at a stadium. 

Of course, the swift storytelling is often a failing of these biopics. Breezy feelings are great during musical numbers, but when this breezes past major episodes in Rocketman's life and career, it kind of has to lean on those cliches. 

You know what made me laugh out loud? I'm actually glad that the movie's sound was so loud because I think I might have annoyed people around me. You know how Bohemian Rhapsody pulls Mercury to rock bottom before that climactic Live Aid show? Rocketman does something very similar, but instead of reenacting an important concert event or something of musical history importance, it reenacts the video for "I'm Still Standing." I was embarrassed for everybody involved at that point. 

I really thought Taron Egerton did a good job. He looks more like Elton John than anybody would have ever expected, and his singing and playing--likely aided by a little movie magic--are better than adequate. I don't know if he's going to win awards like Rami Malek did for Bohemian Rhapsody, but if he does, it'll seem like a good time for somebody with a funny name to play Donovan or somebody. 

Side note: I'm typing this while listening to Tim Heidecker's new album. Tim Heidecker doesn't have a funny name, but he should definitely play the lead in a Harry Nilsson biopic. Hollywood--get on that! 

No comments: