Death at a Funeral

2007 black comedy

Rating: 14/20

Plot: When the patriarch of an English family passes away, the family attempts to do the proper thing and have a dignified funeral. Unfortunately, things spiral hopelessly out of control. Unidentifiable midgets, wrong corpses, and ill-timed acid trips will do that to a funeral.

This might be the frontrunner in the "Best Use of a Midget" award for this year's shane-movies awards. That, of course, is the only end-of-the-year award that really even matters. Funny farce, but it could have been even better and much less predictable. There's an interesting mix of really cheap humor (poop jokes, midgets) and that kind of more-sophisticated, almost-stuffy humor. I chuckled, and that's about all I can ask for with a comedy. Word on the streets is that Chris Rock is remaking this.

1 comment:

cory said...

I justed wanted to find a place where I could talk more about the movie without any spoilers for Winter Rates.

First, a few questions... why did he let himself be killed in the end? Also, why did he never try to disguise himself in any way for the first killing, or afterward? A tall, handsome man with a stylish hat and trenchcoat is pretty distinctive. Did he not care if he was caught? Was it arrogance. Does it relate to the title?

I loved the overall style, mood, and soundtrack. I really liked the alibi girl and I loved the cat-and-mouse stuff with the police. I liked the head of the police, and the moment at the end where the cocky bartentder sees him putting on the gloves is one of my favorite movie moments in a long time. The look on his face was hilarious.

I thought a lot about "Chinatown" and "Day of the Jackal" while watching this. I like both a little better, but this is a great movie, even with my unresolved questions.

Apparently, this was a direct inspiration for Woo's "The Killer". I have not seen it, but have heard great things. Have you seen it?