Viridiana

1961 Bunuel drama

Rating: 18/20

Plot: The title character, a soon-to-be nun ready to take her final vows, is persuaded by the head nun to pay a final visit to her only living relative, a rich but reclusive uncle. He's not a very good person. Viridiana reminds him of his wife who unfortunately died in his arms on their wedding night (sadly, that sounds only a little worse than my honeymoon), and begs her to marry him. She's a bit shocked, refuses, and prepares to leave immediately. So the uncle has her drugged in order to take advantage of her and find a way to force her to stay. Then she leaves. Then something else happens. Then something else happens. And then she decides that she wants to devote her life helping vagabonds and cripples. Then some other things happen.

Incredibly uplifting Bunuel criticism of (surprise!) organized religion and society. Ok, not uplifting at all. But it's brilliant film making! There's a flawless quality to the direction here that comes across as so effortless, and although this doesn't have the weirdness of other Bunuel movies (no cows in beds or eyeball slittings here), there are some fantastic moments, most notably a "last supper" scene and a somnambulist sequence that is dreamy enough to allow me to use my surreal tag. Speaking of tags, I thought I had an incest one. I'm not sure why I don't! I love the final scene of this movie despite its goofiness. Apparently, censors didn't approve of an original final scene, but from the description I've read, it seems like Bunuel managed to sneak a little something extra into this one.

6 comments:

cory said...

Attempted incest, attempted rape, characters that would almost fit into "Freaks"... I'm almost glad Buenel(?) was restricted by the 60's codes. This was a very well made, but depressing and freaky movie. A few things confused me. The uncle was supposed to be ill, but seemed quite well and horny and the bastard son makes some comment about Viridiana not being his cousin. Also Viridiana speaks of doing things with the cousin's "permision". I also liked the final scene but hated almost all of the characters. The film has a very pessimistic view of pretty much everything and everyone, so I'm a little pessimistic about "Viridiana". A 15.

Shane said...

Bunuel! Just curious...had you seen any of this guy's other movies? I'd recommend, but they all have a similar pessimistic vibe which you apparently don't like. Top of my head, I can't think of any that are especially joyous. Some are funny though.

I would be curious to read your thoughts on some less-accessible Bunuel works--'That Obscure Object of Desire,' 'The Phantom of Liberty,' The Discrete Charm of the Bourgeoisie,' The Exterminating Angel'...I don't remember much about any of them, but they're all more overtly surreal than 'Viridiana' and at least two of them are entirely plotless. Oh, and the two films he did with Salvador Dali which also lack any kind of narrative structure...You've seen 'Un Chien Andalou,' right?

I think you're supposed to hate all the characters in this, by the way. The criticism of organized religion wouldn't have worked otherwise, would it?

I was thinking yesterday about how I should watch every single Kurosawa movie next year. Make it the year of Kurosawa. I think Bunuel would be another director I'd like to do that with.

cory said...

I haven't seen any other Bunuel's. I had a chance to tape "Diary of a Chambermaid", but I was low on DVD's. I've also wanted to watch "Belle de Jour", but am afraid my wife might get mad at me. I'll watch "...Bourgeoisie" soon. Since only Viridiana was religious outside of the convent, I didn't really see this as an attack on religion as much as an attack on people and their sinful, disgusting weakness. In a variety of ways, she gets pulled down into the sewar with everyone else. It's easy to mock her piety, but her failure seems more to do with her and her environment rather than the Church.
I really like Kurosawa and should watch more of his stuff. I have seen six or seven so far.

Shane said...

'Belle' is really tame actually. I don't think she would mind a bit. I'm not sure there's even any nudity in that one. That's one I need to see again. It was my first Bunuel experience, I think.

I love how 'Bourgeoisie' is the only word you bothered using in that title. I hate that word and have no idea how to spell it. I just spelled it and still have no idea how to spell it.

Re: Kurosawa...you should watch 'The Hidden Fortress' just because George Lucas borrowed some ideas from it for 'A New Hope'. It's been a while, but I remember a few parallels.

cory said...

The blind leading the blind. I thought you knew what in the hell you were talking about, so I just copied you. I also despise that word. Freakin' French. "The Hidden Fortress" is high on my must-see list.

Shane said...

I looked it up, typed it in, and still wasn't completely sure I spelled it right. Now that's a badass word.