Robyn Hitchcock: Sex, Food, Death. . .and Insects

2007 documentary

Rating: 14/20

Plot: Cult favorite Robyn Hitchcock rehearses and records and tours with some friends and discusses his songwriting, his career, and other things.

This is really more for fans, but it's really cool to see the enthusiasm this guy has for his work and the joy he gets from working with other talented musicians. Lots of interesting philosophical nuggets that may help uncover the truths behind the surreal absurdism of Hitchcock's lyrics. It's hard to rate this because Hitchcock has been my favorite musician for about 20 years, so I'm automatically going to like this a lot more than most people. I will say that I think I like this more than Storefront Hitchcock, the Demme-directed performance video, because Hitchcock is a lot looser and more comfortable and more himself here. Storefront Hitchcock is ok as a typical Robyn show, but there was something stiff about it.

No comments: